App published to Start Menu\Startup folder fails to run automatically RRS feed

• Question

• I have published an app to the Startup folder to make it run automatically for users, as part of my Office package. My app-v server is 4.5.2.17140, client is 4.6 SP2, client PC's are Citrix VDI's, and the App-V client is set to refresh on login. The app does one of two things:

- on first login after assigning the app: By the time the apps have finished refreshing & the shortcut is present in the Startup folder, Windows appears to have already finished it's login seqeunce, and the app doesn't run automatically. No errors seen. Clicking on the shortcut under Startup launches the app successfully.

-On subsequent logins: an App-V client error stating that the "specified application does not exist" is displayed. Clicking on the Startup folder shows it as empty for a few seconds, then the shortcut re-appears once the App-V client has finished it's refresh. Clicking on the shortcut launches the app successfully.

--

The application refresh appears to only take around 5-10 seconds - can anyone advise on what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks!

Monday, December 9, 2013 12:43 PM

Answers

• Znack:

-SP3 unfortunately hasn't resolved this.

Falko:

-the specified key is not being amended by Citrix Profile management.  For details on testing as per your other suggestion, please see below - I agree that it appears there is an issue with the app trying to load during refresh.

The problem is definitely related to the refresh of the Virtual PC somehow, as it's only when the machine is set to refresh that the app fails to launch. It looks like the App-V refresh takes slightly longer in this case, causing the app to not load on first assignment, which is odd, as the VDI is refreshed on log-off, not log-on.

In subsequent logins, the shortcut is present during login as the start menu is part of the user's roaming profile, hence the error message only appearing after a restart. (The failed load is still due to the delayed refresh - on an idenitcal VDI still using Citrix profile management, but that is not set to refresh on logoff, it loads without a problem.)

I've tested with a bat file that waits 5 seconds after login, then calls the published shortcut from c:\Temp - this has resolved the problem for me.

Thankyou to everyone for your time & advice - it is appreciated.

• Proposed as answer by znack Thursday, December 12, 2013 5:54 PM
    • Edited by DixieLandBlues Friday, December 13, 2013 9:14 AM
    • Marked as answer by DixieLandBlues Friday, December 13, 2013 9:15 AM
    Thursday, December 12, 2013 4:20 PM

All replies

• Can you post the recent records from the AppV 4 Client logfile (sftlog.txt)?

Monday, December 9, 2013 12:53 PM
  • This is the log for a failed run (the app is the Microsoft Office Document Cache Handler)

[12/09/2013 12:57:07:293 SRVC WRN] {tid=A48}

--------------------------------------------------------

Initialized client log (C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Application Virtualization Client\sftlog.txt) [12/09/2013 12:57:07:449 ???? INF] {tid=A48} App-V filter loaded.

[12/09/2013 12:57:07:496 VSCM INF] {tid=A48}

Starting Virtual Service Control Manager.

[12/09/2013 12:57:07:901 JGSW INF] {tid=A48}

The Application Virtualization file system was initialized successfully.

[12/09/2013 12:57:07:981 INTF WRN] {tid=A48}

The Application Virtualization Client Core initialized correctly. Installed Product: Microsoft Application Virtualization Desktop Client Version: 4.6.2.24020 Install Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Application Virtualization Client Global Data Directory: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Application Virtualization Client\ Machine Name: MFH-WIN7-14097 Operating System: Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1.0 Build 7601 OSD Command:

[12/09/2013 12:57:07:981 SRVC INF] {tid=A48}

---- The Application Virtualization Client Service version 4.6.2.24020 has started ----

[12/09/2013 12:59:31:601 AMGR ERR] {tid=CAC:usr=rjones}

The Application Virtualization Client cannot open Microsoft Office Document Cache 2010_x86.001

[12/09/2013 12:59:32:116 TRAY ERR] {tid=1504:usr=rjones}

The Application Virtualization Client could not launch the application you requested. The specified application does not exist. Check the name you specified, and then try again. Error code: 4625DD4-0B211004-00000A09

[12/09/2013 13:01:43:242 FILE WRN] {tid=A44:usr=rjones}
    The client could not create the shortcut.
    App: Microsoft Office Document Cache 2010_x86.001
    User: 0x00000001
    Exe:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Application Virtualization Client\sfttray.exe
    Location: \\acme\public\UserProfiles\rjones\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\Microsoft Office Document Cache.lnk
    Args: /launch "Microsoft Office Document Cache 2010_x86.001"
    Icon: \\acme\public\UserProfiles\rjones\AppData\Roaming\SoftGrid Client\Icon Cache\E337A290-EE3E-40D0-876A-3C6C9579E85E.ico
    Working Dir: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Application Virtualization Client
    Hidden: FALSE
    Source: rtsp://mfh-v-appvmgt01:554/

And this is the log after I click the Shortcut
    [12/09/2013 13:02:04:852 ???? INF] {tid=136C:usr=rjones}
    An error occurred while opening the virtual registry (section: 9), rc: 07B01F0C-0000004A

[12/09/2013 13:02:04:883 SWAP INF] {hap=32:app=Microsoft Office Document Cache 2010_x86.001:tid=136C:usr=rjones}
    Elapsed time for upload: 0.218 seconds

[12/09/2013 13:02:07:770 SWAP INF] {hap=32:app=Microsoft Office Document Cache 2010_x86.001:tid=136C:usr=rjones}
    Elapsed time for launch: 8.330 seconds

Monday, December 9, 2013 1:06 PM
  • Hello,

I would suggest you implement App-V 4.6 SP3 and test if that improves the situation

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Monday, December 9, 2013 7:58 PM
  • Is the environment utilising persistent or persistent virtual desktops? How are you managing the user profiles in the environment?

To be supported correctly, Office packages need to be published globally. That means that although Office might be delivered via App-V, it will need to be baked into the virtual desktop image to be effective. That would avoid the issue.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

Monday, December 9, 2013 9:33 PM
  • Your error code = 04-00000A09 The specified application does not exist.

Check this kb930631?

Is your Office 2010 sequence based on kb2627274 ? Have you added %SFT_MNT%\<short path>\Office14\MSOSync.exe to the Microsoft Office Document Cache shortcut?

Maybe post your OSD file, probability you're launching the wrong executable? 

Tuesday, December 10, 2013 7:55 AM
  • In answer to the above queries:

Znack:

-I wil test with SP3, and see if this improves the situation. This will require a bit of time, though.

Aaron:

-We are using virtual desktops, that are refreshed back to the default image on each logoff.

-Office is already part of the VDI image.

-We are using roaming user profiles managed through Citrix.

It seems as though it may be related to the refresh of the virtual desktop, as I tested with a persistent desktop and found the error did not occur. The persistant desktop was cloned from the default VDI image, and aside from not refreshing on logoff is identical to the desktops where the error occurs).

I'm going to test with a bat file that will wait 15 seconds, check if the shortcut has been published and either call it/wait another 15 seconds if it hasn't appeared yet.

Tuesday, December 10, 2013 9:03 AM
  • Ben:

I have followed both the MS prescriptive guidance and the Kelway whitepaper. The OSD is calling the right file -  after the app refresh is completed the published shortcut works, and I only have one shortcut for the Microsoft Office Document Cache being published.

Tuesday, December 10, 2013 9:11 AM
  • Does your Citrix User Profile Management include HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\SoftGrid\4.5\Client?

It seems that Windows is trying to launch the application, but at that time the app is not *yet* published to the user. So the App-V client might be ready to launch the app, but can't find it in the user's list of available applications.

On a test-VM you could try to publish Office manually with the -global switch, making it available for all users and see if that works. (you also could try to log on with a test user before you close/seal the image and see if that autostart behaviour works for _that_ user)

Falko

Twitter @kirk_tn   |   Blog kirxblog   |   Web kirx.org   |   Fireside appvbook.com

Tuesday, December 10, 2013 4:05 PM
  • Znack:

-SP3 unfortunately hasn't resolved this.

Falko:

-the specified key is not being amended by Citrix Profile management.  For details on testing as per your other suggestion, please see below - I agree that it appears there is an issue with the app trying to load during refresh.

The problem is definitely related to the refresh of the Virtual PC somehow, as it's only when the machine is set to refresh that the app fails to launch. It looks like the App-V refresh takes slightly longer in this case, causing the app to not load on first assignment, which is odd, as the VDI is refreshed on log-off, not log-on.

In subsequent logins, the shortcut is present during login as the start menu is part of the user's roaming profile, hence the error message only appearing after a restart. (The failed load is still due to the delayed refresh - on an idenitcal VDI still using Citrix profile management, but that is not set to refresh on logoff, it loads without a problem.)

I've tested with a bat file that waits 5 seconds after login, then calls the published shortcut from c:\Temp - this has resolved the problem for me.

Thankyou to everyone for your time & advice - it is appreciated.

• Proposed as answer by znack Thursday, December 12, 2013 5:54 PM
    • Edited by DixieLandBlues Friday, December 13, 2013 9:14 AM
    • Marked as answer by DixieLandBlues Friday, December 13, 2013 9:15 AM
    Thursday, December 12, 2013 4:20 PM