none
Dependency question RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

I have query on how to set up the dependencies to correctly plan some activities.

Looking at the below screenshot, i need the "data preparation 4" activity to complete at the same time as coding, and the data migration activities 1, 2, 3 & 4 to take place in a continuous chain. 

Note that in the actual plan, there are many activities before and after go-live. I have simplified these to single activities (go-live preparation and ELS).

Is this an instance where FS dependencies should be used, or is there a 'better' way? 

• Edited by rapscalli Friday, February 14, 2020 11:18 AM
    Friday, February 14, 2020 11:16 AM

All replies

• A number of things come to mind ... Certainly others here can and are welcome chip in describing the differences and wisdoms of different types of task linkages, but I guess I'm going back a step to look at the logic of the schedule

• Do you really need "data preparation 4" to complete same time as coding completes? Or is "data preparation 4" a required predecessor of "ELS"? In other words, both coding AND "data preparation" need to be complete before "ELS" starts?  If so, then just make Task 6 a predecessor of Task 7 (or looking at it another direction, make Task 7 a successor of Task 7. Certainly ELS can't start unless the data is prepared? 
    • Given you current schedule, maybe just delay the start of Task 6 ... numerous ways to do that. Make duration 5 days, or schedule "as late as possible" (after setting the link between Task 6 and 7).  BUT do you really want to risk the project by delaying or extending Data Prep 4?
    • Don't know your strategy, but is it really possible to complete coding before Data Prep?  Are there some lurking interdependencies not represented in plan between coding using some or all of the Data Prep activities to get everything ready for ELS? 

--rms www.rmschneider.com

Friday, February 14, 2020 12:09 PM
  • Hi Rob,

A bit of background on the actual task. There are data preparation activities that happen alongside coding. As we want to make sure the data migrated is as close to current as possible, these activities need to happen to coincide with the end of coding. There are a number of other activities that follow coding and data preparation, but for simplicity i have represented these with the single task ELS.

Adding the dependency between 6&7 and scheduling the four data preparation activities as late as possible seems to have fixed that the schedule. But... i need to ensure that in the actual schedule there is a continuous chain of dependencies from data preparation 4 to the end of the project, otherwise the data preparation 4  task will move past the end of coding.

My initial attempt was to use SF dependencies, that initially worked but i had some odd things happen that i thought may be related to the SF dependency.

Friday, February 14, 2020 1:01 PM
  • rapscalli,

Here's one way to do it. I'm not a big fan of the Start-to-finish relationship, and you said you tried it but maybe not quite in the same way.

John

Friday, February 14, 2020 3:48 PM
  • Here's another idea. Basically add a start milestone with two successors. Make Data Prep "as late as possible" with a finish to finish predecessor with Coding (as I think you want the last step in Data Prep to be coincident with the completion of Coding.  Just anIdea.

--rms www.rmschneider.com

Saturday, February 15, 2020 12:49 PM