Inbound Lync calls "fail due to network error" RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all-

We recently set up a new office, the new office has a hardware VPN to our main office (where the Lync servers are located) and redundant internet connections (side notes).

Our main office is able to make and receive Lync calls to any federated clients, but we are unable to successfully initiate a call to our Lync clients in our new office.

The new office Lync clients are able to make calls to anyone (including our main office Lync clients), however, are unable to receive them.  IM's work fine, the A/V however drops off after a split second (when an external client calls them) with the error "Call failed due to network issue).

I am dumbfounded by this one.  I have been opening the NEW offices firewall and trying everything as I believe that is the most likely culprit for the "blocked" call.

-Dan

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 8:28 PM

Answers

• Hi Dan,

It may due to Lync unable to communicate via the AV ports.

Please confirm your Firewall/VPN allows UDP/RTP.

And the ports range between 50000 to 59999 should be opened.

Noya Liu

TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Noya Lau Wednesday, February 1, 2012 6:37 AM
    • Marked as answer by Noya Lau Friday, February 3, 2012 12:49 PM
    Friday, January 20, 2012 12:27 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Can you share a little on your Lync environment? Do also include in the AD & AD-DNS Servers so we can at least narrow down the possibilities.

Thanks.

James Ooi MCITP Lync Server 2010 | Blog: http://jamesosw.wordpress.com Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 5:48 AM
  • Hi Dan,

It may due to Lync unable to communicate via the AV ports.

Please confirm your Firewall/VPN allows UDP/RTP.

And the ports range between 50000 to 59999 should be opened.

Noya Liu

TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Noya Lau Wednesday, February 1, 2012 6:37 AM
    • Marked as answer by Noya Lau Friday, February 3, 2012 12:49 PM
    Friday, January 20, 2012 12:27 PM
  • Are you able to run a wireshark trace on the Lync server? If that sends then times out, can you run a wireshark at the other end? I agree with Noya that it sounds firewall related.

• Edited by tomcotton Sunday, January 29, 2012 5:06 PM
    • Proposed as answer by tomcotton Sunday, January 29, 2012 5:06 PM
    Sunday, January 29, 2012 5:06 PM
  • Hi Dan

Did you figure it out?

- Austbo

Friday, February 3, 2012 8:53 AM