Clicking on "Envelopes" only brings up "Envelope Options", and not the dialog box to print envelopes, but only on certain documents. RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using Word 2010, and up until a few weeks ago have never had trouble printing envelopes. Then one day I clicked on Envelopes to print one, and it only brought up Envelope Options instead of the dialog box to print envelopes. Eventually the problem went away and it worked again. Then it happened again last week. I closed down everything Office-related and started back up, and it worked again. Now it's happened again today, and even after shutting all Office products down, it still won't let me print envelopes. I have two printers and it happens no matter which one I choose. The strange thing is it apparently only happens on certain documents, because I can open up another letter, hit "Envelopes" and paste in the address from the letter that won't print, and it will work fine. What is wrong with these certain documents that makes Word unable to bring up the print dialog? I can't find anything online relating to this issue. Any ideas?
    Monday, April 15, 2013 5:08 PM

All replies

• 1. If you empty the whole document then click the Evelopes buttong, what will happen?

2. Check if there are any special macros in these specific documents

3. Try remove both of these printers, and check this issue again.

4. Will this behavior also happen when open these documents from the other computer?

You can also share a copy of the document in SkyDrive so I can check on it. (Remove any sensitive information)

Max Meng
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 5:59 AM
  • Thanks so much for your response! :)

1. Emptying the document produces the same result. So does copying and pasting the addresses into a new blank document.

2. I don't see any macros at all.

3 & 4. I really don't think it's the printer(s), because it only happens on certain documents and happens on any computer that opens them along with that computer's printer(s) as well. I can always print the document(s), it's just the envelope dialog box refuses to appear.

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 1:04 PM
  • Anyone else have any ideas?
    Friday, April 19, 2013 1:59 PM
  • To correct this issue, with the document open click on Mailings and then click on Start Mail Merge.  On this drop down the selection is more than likely envelopes for this issue. Change it to Normal Word Document and then click your Envelopes icon and the proper dialog box will appear.
    Wednesday, October 9, 2013 4:29 PM
  • Doesn't work for me.

Found if I select labels I then get a window with two tabs, envelope and label. Now I can select envelope tab and enter my addressee info and print just as I used to be able to do. I waste so much time dealing with the bugs on these products I wonder if I should stop upgrading or allowing windows upgrade to change anything.

Scott Gurvey

Saturday, January 11, 2014 4:07 PM
  • Thank you! Never had this happen before, then suddenly this morning (and, naturally, right in the middle of a time-critical project for my boss), I couldn't print envelopes! I was freaking out. But your solution worked perfectly! Thanks!!
    Thursday, February 8, 2018 5:14 PM
  • I saw the Answers above and they all worked for me but I couldn't figure out why when I clicked the Envelope Icon I had placed on my Quick Access Toolbar, the dialogue box didn't appear so I could fill in the addresses. I simply deleted the Envelope Icon then I click on "Customize Quick Access Toolbar" and added the Envelope Icon again - It worked! Just delete and re-add the Icon and that will fix your problem.
    Thursday, January 10, 2019 8:28 PM