Side By Side Errors RRS feed

• Question

• Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64-bit Operating System

I am trying to run a backup of data files to an external drive using a program called "Memeo Backup Premium".  As I run the backup I get hundreds of Side By Side errors, Event ID 33 with the following statement in the General Tab:

Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files (x86)\Memeo\AutoBackupPro\WicIO.dll". Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC80.DebugCRT,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="8.0.50727.762" could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.

Following is a screen shot of the event viewer:

I ran a sxftrace.exe and generated the following log:

=================
    Begin Activation Context Generation.
    Input Parameter:
    Flags = 0
    ProcessorArchitecture = Wow32
    CultureFallBacks = en-US;en
    ManifestPath = C:\Program Files (x86)\Memeo\AutoBackupPro\WicIO.dll
    AssemblyDirectory = C:\Program Files (x86)\Memeo\AutoBackupPro\
    Application Config File = 
    -----------------
    INFO: Parsing Manifest File C:\Program Files (x86)\Memeo\AutoBackupPro\WicIO.dll.
    INFO: Manifest Definition Identity is (null).
    INFO: Reference: Microsoft.VC80.DebugCRT,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="8.0.50727.762"
    INFO: Resolving reference Microsoft.VC80.DebugCRT,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="8.0.50727.762".
    INFO: Resolving reference for ProcessorArchitecture WOW64.
    INFO: Resolving reference for culture Neutral.
    INFO: Applying Binding Policy.
    INFO: No publisher policy found.
    INFO: No binding policy redirect found.
    INFO: Begin assembly probing.
    INFO: Did not find the assembly in WinSxS.
    INFO: Attempt to probe manifest at C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_32\Microsoft.VC80.DebugCRT\8.0.50727.762__1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b\Microsoft.VC80.DebugCRT.DLL.
    INFO: Did not find manifest for culture Neutral.
    INFO: End assembly probing.
    INFO: Resolving reference for ProcessorArchitecture x86.
    INFO: Attempt to probe manifest at C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_32\Microsoft.VC80.DebugCRT\8.0.50727.762__1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b\Microsoft.VC80.DebugCRT.DLL.
    INFO: Attempt to probe manifest at C:\Program Files (x86)\Memeo\AutoBackupPro\Microsoft.VC80.DebugCRT.DLL.
    INFO: Attempt to probe manifest at C:\Program Files (x86)\Memeo\AutoBackupPro\Microsoft.VC80.DebugCRT.MANIFEST.
    INFO: Attempt to probe manifest at C:\Program Files (x86)\Memeo\AutoBackupPro\Microsoft.VC80.DebugCRT\Microsoft.VC80.DebugCRT.DLL.
    INFO: Attempt to probe manifest at C:\Program Files (x86)\Memeo\AutoBackupPro\Microsoft.VC80.DebugCRT\Microsoft.VC80.DebugCRT.MANIFEST.
    ERROR: Cannot resolve reference Microsoft.VC80.DebugCRT,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="8.0.50727.762".
    ERROR: Activation Context generation failed.
    End Activation Context Generation.

=================
    Begin Activation Context Generation.
    Input Parameter:
    Flags = 0
    ProcessorArchitecture = Wow32
    CultureFallBacks = en-US;en
    ManifestPath = C:\Program Files (x86)\Memeo\AutoBackupPro\WicIO.dll
    AssemblyDirectory = C:\Program Files (x86)\Memeo\AutoBackupPro\
    Application Config File = 
    -----------------
    INFO: Parsing Manifest File C:\Program Files (x86)\Memeo\AutoBackupPro\WicIO.dll.
    INFO: Manifest Definition Identity is (null).
    INFO: Reference: Microsoft.VC80.DebugCRT,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="8.0.50727.762"
    INFO: Resolving reference Microsoft.VC80.DebugCRT,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="8.0.50727.762".
    INFO: Resolving reference for ProcessorArchitecture WOW64.
    INFO: Resolving reference for ProcessorArchitecture x86.
    INFO: Attempt to probe manifest at C:\Program Files (x86)\Memeo\AutoBackupPro\Microsoft.VC80.DebugCRT.DLL.
    INFO: Attempt to probe manifest at C:\Program Files (x86)\Memeo\AutoBackupPro\Microsoft.VC80.DebugCRT.MANIFEST.
    INFO: Attempt to probe manifest at C:\Program Files (x86)\Memeo\AutoBackupPro\Microsoft.VC80.DebugCRT\Microsoft.VC80.DebugCRT.DLL.
    INFO: Attempt to probe manifest at C:\Program Files (x86)\Memeo\AutoBackupPro\Microsoft.VC80.DebugCRT\Microsoft.VC80.DebugCRT.MANIFEST.
    ERROR: Cannot resolve reference Microsoft.VC80.DebugCRT,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="8.0.50727.762".
    ERROR: Activation Context generation failed.
    End Activation Context Generation.

Evidently the Memeo application "WiclO.dll" is looking for version="8.0.50727.762" and it is not there.  I believe that the errors are causing some features of the application to malfunction.

HOW DO I FIX THE ERROR: "ACTIVATION CONTEXT GENERATION FAILED" ?

Thanks for your help.

Saturday, July 11, 2015 3:01 PM

Answers

• Hi Grey Eagle,

"Memeo maintains that I need one of the older Visual C++ and or a prior NET Framework update to eliminate the error"
    Have you confirmed the platform requirements of this product from the software developer`s forum? What is .net framework version and the Visual version installed in this machine?
    We should ensure the machine has meet the software`s requirements.
    According to the error messages: "Microsoft.VC80.DebugCRT,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="8.0.50727.762""
    It is related to the VC++ 2005 Sp1. Please ensure the VC++ 2005 Sp1 has been installed in the machine. If it has been installed the machine, we could try to reinstall it to have a check.

We recommended you to ask for help from the product`s forum because they are more familiar with the product`s requirements and how it works.

To backup the datas, we could try the built-in backup tools. Here is a link for reference:

Back up your files

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-hk/windows/back-up-files#1TC=windows-7

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 16, 2015 3:21 AM

All replies

• Marked as answer by Grey Eagle 06 Friday, July 17, 2015 2:19 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Grey Eagle 06 Friday, July 17, 2015 2:19 PM
    Saturday, July 11, 2015 5:13 PM
  • Hi Grey,

Considering this issue is related to a third party software and we are lack of the resources about this product. It is recommended to ask for help from the third party product support. They are more familiar with this product.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 14, 2015 6:43 AM
  • Milos,

I appreciate your comment and link .... but I almost have to laugh.  I have spent hours in back an forth emails to Memeo tech support and to their credit they did a 2 1/2 hour remote session.  The result .... Memeo says I have to talk to Microsoft because it is not their problem.  Also I have called Microsoft Technical support and they require a long term maintenance contract before they will work on the problem.  Also they thought it was Memeo's problem and that I should talk to them.  This is a classic case of "finger pointing" that computer users face every. 

Memeo maintains that I need one of the older Visual C++ and or a prior NET Framework update to eliminate the error.  I don't know which one this would be or even if installing a older update will cause other problems.

Grey Eagle

Wednesday, July 15, 2015 7:34 PM
  • MeipoXu,

I have spent hours in back an forth emails to Memeo tech support and to their credit they did a 2 1/2 hour remote session.  The result .... Memeo says I have to talk to Microsoft because it is not their problem.  Also I have called Microsoft Technical support and they require a long term maintenance contract before they will work on the problem.  Also they thought it was Memeo's problem and that I should talk to them.  This is a classic case of "finger pointing" that computer users face every. 

Memeo maintains that I need one of the older Visual C++ and or a prior NET Framework update to eliminate the error.  I don't know which one this would be or even if installing a older update will cause other problems.

Thanks for your comment.

Grey Eagle

Wednesday, July 15, 2015 7:36 PM
  • Hi Grey Eagle,

"Memeo maintains that I need one of the older Visual C++ and or a prior NET Framework update to eliminate the error"
    Have you confirmed the platform requirements of this product from the software developer`s forum? What is .net framework version and the Visual version installed in this machine?
    We should ensure the machine has meet the software`s requirements.
    According to the error messages: "Microsoft.VC80.DebugCRT,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="8.0.50727.762""
    It is related to the VC++ 2005 Sp1. Please ensure the VC++ 2005 Sp1 has been installed in the machine. If it has been installed the machine, we could try to reinstall it to have a check.

We recommended you to ask for help from the product`s forum because they are more familiar with the product`s requirements and how it works.

To backup the datas, we could try the built-in backup tools. Here is a link for reference:

Back up your files

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-hk/windows/back-up-files#1TC=windows-7

Best regards

Thursday, July 16, 2015 3:21 AM
  • MeipoXu,

I am trying to send a reply but cannot upload any type of attachment .... this feature of the website form is BROKE.  Will try later.

Grey Eagle

• Marked as answer by Grey Eagle 06 Wednesday, July 22, 2015 7:15 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Grey Eagle 06 Wednesday, July 22, 2015 7:15 PM
    Friday, July 17, 2015 9:17 PM
  • MeipoXo,

Is there anyway I can email you a screen shot?  The upload function of this form does not work anymore.  I sent an email to the "Site Feedback" link and they sent a link to get my account "verified" (whatever that means).  Even after my account has been "verified" the upload feature does not work.  I'm not the only one.  There are dozens of Microsoft customers that are no longer able to upload any files.

Grey Eagle

Tuesday, July 21, 2015 5:08 PM
  • Hi Grey,

As a workaround, we could upload the screenshot to OneDrive and paste the link here. We may need to delete the underline of the link to post it.

Best regards

Wednesday, July 22, 2015 8:34 AM
  • MeipoXu,

Thank you for your reply.  This is the most useful information I have received concerning this problem.

Memeo's requirements and responses:

• Memeo's only requirements for Memeo Backup Premium is Windows 7 or 8.
    • Memeo's tech service has tactfully told me that there is no further help because this is a Microsoft problem not theirs. 
    • Memeo maintains that the failure of the "Purge" function of their software is related to a failed Visual C++ update.  But which one?

Your comment that the error message is related to "VC++2005 Sp1" is new information.  I have attached a screen shot of the applicable Microsoft programs and updates on my computer.  There are a number of "Visual C++" updates, but none with the exact syntax "Visual C++ Sp1".

(Correction, I have worked for a week to try and upload an attachment.  The upload feature of Tech Net Form is BROKE.)

Following is a link to my screen shot of the applicable programs posted on OneDrive:

https://onedrive.live.com/?id=7D1772256801B83C%21129&cid=7D1772256801B83C&group=0&parId=root&o=OneUp

Following is a link I found to download "Visual C++ Sp1":

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8328

If I do install "Visual C++ Sp1" I have the following concerns:

• Do I in fact have the correct link for "Visual C++ Sp1" update?
    • Should any of the Visual C++ or NET Framework updates be uninstalled first and if so should they be reinstalled after the update?
    • Is there potential for the "Visual C++ Sp1" update to disrupt follow on updates or programs?
    • I use Windows Automatic Update.  Should not Visual C++ and NET Framework updates be added automatically as needed?
    • Before any major update I use Windows to establish a "Restore Point".  Shouldn't the restore point plus the files created by my backup software on an external hard drive be adequate protection for and corrupted files or loss of data from a failed update installation?
    I would appreciate any information you have on these questions.  I have had such bad experiences with Microsoft updates that I am proceeding with caution.  Thanks.

Grey Eagle

Wednesday, July 22, 2015 7:15 PM
  • Hi Grey,

The OneDrive you have uploaded is broken.
    Have you confirmed the reqiurements to run the Backup program from the program developer? Is VC++2005 Sp1 necessary to run this program?
    Is the VC++2005 Sp1 installed in the machine?

The VC++2005 Sp1 download link should be this:
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable Package (x64)
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-hk/download/details.aspx?id=18471
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86)
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-hk/download/details.aspx?id=5638

For your question:
    "Should any of the Visual C++ or NET Framework updates be uninstalled first and if so should they be reinstalled after the update?"
    According to my experience, we should not uninstall any updates.

"Is there potential for the "Visual C++ Sp1" update to disrupt follow on updates or programs?"
    Yes, there should be related updates installed in the future.

"I use Windows Automatic Update.  Should not Visual C++ and NET Framework updates be added automatically as needed?"
    To get a better performance, it is always recommended to keep it up to date.

"Before any major update I use Windows to establish a "Restore Point".  Shouldn't the restore point plus the files created by my backup software on an external hard drive be adequate protection for and corrupted files or loss of data from a failed update installation?"
    Yes, we could create a restore point manually before we install the updates in case there is potential failure in the future. I am not familiar with the backup software so I am not sure whether it is adequate. To get a double insurance, we could make a system image. Here is a link for reference:
    Back up your programs, system settings, and files
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-hk/windows/back-up-programs-system-settings-files#1TC=windows-7

Best regards

Thursday, July 23, 2015 1:23 AM
  • MeipoXu,<o:p></o:p>

I think we are missing something in communication.  The program developer, Memeo, maintains that the reason I am getting side by side errors using their backup software is a problem with Microsoft.  Their Tech Support suspects that the problem is caused by one of the VC++ updates or a missing VC++ update.  They list no requirements to run their software other than simply ... Windows 7 or Windows 8.  The bottom line is that they have closed the case because "Not their problem but Microsoft" .... end of story!<o:p></o:p>

Please review your reply dated Thursday, July 16, 2015 3:21 AM:<o:p></o:p>

The side by side error code I am getting is:<o:p></o:p>

Microsoft.VC80.DebugCRT,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="8.0.50727.762"<o:p></o:p>

You stated:<o:p></o:p>

"It is related to the VC++ 2005 Sp1. Please ensure the VC++ 2005 Sp1 has been installed in the machine. If it has been installed the machine, we could try to reinstall it to have a check."<o:p></o:p>

Ever since you sent this reply I have been trying to upload a screen shot from my control panel showing the applicable updates on my machine.  However the upload feature of Tech Net Form is BROKEN.  I have used the "Insert hyperlink" icon above to insert a link to a OneDrive page with a screen shot of my applicable updates:

Screen Shot_Programs

Notice that I have a number of VC++ updates but not the exact syntax of "VC++2005 Sp1" . I suspect that I do not have this update but am not totally sure how it will be listed in the control panel once uploaded.  

Once you stated that the error code was related to the "VC++2005 Sp1" update I have been trying to confirm whether I have this update and if I do not then how to install it.  In your latest reply you list two separate updates:

• VC++ Sp1 Redistributable Package (x64)
    • VC++ Sp1 Redistributable Package (x86)

Based on the screen shot I have uploaded on OneDrive can you tell if I need just the (x64) update or do I need both updates?

Also based on your latest response I think you are confirming that none of the updates already on my computer should be uninstalled and that the VC++2005 Sp1 update when installed should not adversely affect the newer updates already installed on my machine, such as VC++2008 and VC++2010.

Your help is most appreciated and I will look forward to your comments.  Thank you.

<o:p></o:p>

Grey Eagle

Thursday, July 23, 2015 2:42 AM
  • Hi Grey,

The screenshot link is still broken. Considering you have installed the X64 version, we should install the X64 version.

It is recommended to make a restore point manually before we install the updates.

Best regards

Friday, July 24, 2015 5:50 AM
  • MeipoXu,

The link is valid except I didn't know OneDrive had a "sharing" protocol.  Try the following link for the attachment:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=7D1772256801B83C!129&authkey=!AAfouqEUfeow8tY&v=3&ithint=photo%2cjpg 

According to OneDrive this is supposed to work for anyone who has the link.  Will need to copy and paste.

Thanks

Grey Eagle

Friday, July 24, 2015 12:58 PM
  • Hi Grey,

According to the screenshot, it seems that the Visual C++ 2005 has been installed in the machine.

I hope the issue will be resolved now.

Best regards

Monday, July 27, 2015 5:39 AM
  • MeipoXu,

This issue has gone full circle and most certainly NOT RESOLVED.  I guess I am not making myself clear.

My backup software by Memeo does not work properly on my computer.  Memeo maintains that this is not their problem but a Microsoft problem.  Memeo Tech Service "best guess" is that the error code I am receiving:

"Microsoft.VC80.DebugCRT,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="8.0.50727.762""

is caused by a Visual C++ update or lack of a Visual C++ update.

My question on Tech Net is:  WHICH VISUAL C++ UPDATE IS THE PROBLEM ????  As you can see from the screen shot of my control panel there are 6 Visual C++ 2005 updates, 6 Visual C++ 2008 updates, 2 Visual C++ 2010 updates, and 1 Visual C++ 2012 update.

You said on July 16, 2015 at 03:21 AM: "It is related to the VC++ 2005 Sp1"

Now that you have the screen shot of my control panel and can view all the Visual C++ updates my question is: DO I NEED "VC++2005 Sp1" and HOW DO I INSTALL THIS UPDATE?

You listed two downloads:

The description on both of this updates states:

"..... on a computer that does not have Visual C++2005 installed"

Just as you confirmed I HAVE VISUAL C++2005 INSTALLED ON MY COMPUTER.  AS a matter of fact I have 6 different versions of Visual C++2005 installed.

THIS IS WHY I AM TOTALLY CONFUSED.

FINALLY:

Considering the Side by Side error code, and considering the Visual C++ updates already installed on my computer, and considering the update description that they are for computers that do not presently have Visual C++2005 installed ......... SHOULD I INSTALL BOTH MICROSOFT VISUAL C++2005 SP1 REDISTRIBUTABLE PACKAGE (X64) and MICROSOFT VISUAL C++2005 SP1 REDISTRIBUTABLE PACKAGE (x86)??

Grey Eagle

Tuesday, July 28, 2015 7:45 PM
  • Hi Grey,

Please install the X64 version to have a check.

"is caused by a Visual C++ update or lack of a Visual C++ update"
    Do you check for updates for the machine manually?
    To get a better performance of the machine, it is recommended to keep it up to date.

I hope it will work this time.

Best regards

Wednesday, July 29, 2015 1:51 AM