Creating Overrides, TMG MP, Rules RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, we have imported the TMG MP.  I see a number of rules which generate Error, High (i.e. the maximum) alerts.  This translates to a high priority callout ticket in our environment.  I looked to override this rule to lower the severity and the only overrideable parameter is "enabled".  I looked in the authoring console and there is a custom write actions called "generate alert" which uses the GenerateAlert Module.

Every rule in the TMG pack is using this custom module.  which means the severity and priority of the generated alert are not exposed in the rule itself.  Meaning I can't change the severity or priority of any rules.

Surely I am doing something wrong here ?  Can anyone confirm ?

thanks

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 11:13 AM

Answers

• Just checked TMG MP, every single alerting rule has custom write action "GenerateAlert" which does not expose Priority and Severity for overriding, this is apparently is incorrect and should be reported as bug to connect.microsoft.com

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 7:15 PM
  • Thanks for the feedback Mike.  We do NOT load MP's and technologies to test MP's before release.  We rely on the individual teams to do the testing.  As teams come up thru the learning curve (Mps are HARD to learn to do well) they improve.  Early versions typically reflect the learning curve.  To combat this, we are building a new generation of tools that do the right things so teams don't have to remember more than 150 development best practices for MPs.

To set expectations, it may take a considerable period to see this MP change.  You may want to pursue a community rewrite.

Microsoft Corporation
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 4:18 PM

All replies

• If this is the case, then the alert priority is not overridable. Consider filing a bug on this MP to add overrides for alert severity.
    Microsoft Corporation
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 5:30 PM
  • Just checked TMG MP, every single alerting rule has custom write action "GenerateAlert" which does not expose Priority and Severity for overriding, this is apparently is incorrect and should be reported as bug to connect.microsoft.com

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 7:15 PM
  • I logged it for an immediate revision request through Premier.

I appreciate the confirmation responses Pavel, Dan.

Dan, I have to say in all politeness, it took me about 4 minutes to see what was happening here.   Unless the internal QA process at Microsoft is just "create an alert, did it create ? ok then pass QA" then a tester would surely have spotted this error.  I am a bit disappointed things are released like this.  I realise there perhaps isnt as much as control as is possible with so many Management Packs out there but it's this kind of incident which does reflect somewhat negatively on the Management Pack release process from MS.

thanks again all.

Mike

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 7:19 AM
  • Thanks for the feedback Mike.  We do NOT load MP's and technologies to test MP's before release.  We rely on the individual teams to do the testing.  As teams come up thru the learning curve (Mps are HARD to learn to do well) they improve.  Early versions typically reflect the learning curve.  To combat this, we are building a new generation of tools that do the right things so teams don't have to remember more than 150 development best practices for MPs.

To set expectations, it may take a considerable period to see this MP change.  You may want to pursue a community rewrite.

Microsoft Corporation
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 4:18 PM