none
Authenticator cross platform support RRS feed

• Question

• I'm testing MFA for user scenarios a client wants using their office365 business premium subscription, and am seeing the results shown in the table below.

(For the cases of "MS Authenticator" I believe each can also be used with SMS text, but have only tested it with my GoDaddy accounts.)

I do have a couple questions:

1. Why does the Hotmail (outlook.com) account require an app password only on Windows 10?

2. Is it expected that GoDaddy subscriptions work almost identical to MS direct subscriptions?

3. Also expected that I can't use remote PS for GoDaddy (access denied)?

GoDaddy claims that "MFA is not supported for email access", however I think what they really mean is they won't do tech support for MFA if you run into trouble. One time I called they said they had "disabled it" and another time they claimed it might work "by accident". But as far as I can tell, it is enabled using portal.office.com in the admin interface almost identically to the case of buying office365 direct from MS. Only difference I could find (other than remote PS) is you are directed to authenticate to the portal with GoDaddy and the user interface to enable MFA is accessed differently (but then is identical after that).

I am reticent to recommend GoDaddy based on their claim of non-support, however the alternative is to recommend they purchase new subscriptions direct from MS and migrate everything. I expect a recommendation to move to MS from GoDaddy  to not be well received and they are a small business that probably will be fine without remote PS.

MFA method

GoDaddy Office365

MS Office365

MS Live

Gmail

Outlook 2016 (Windows 10)

App password

MS Authenticator

App password

not tested

Outlook 2016 (High Sierra)

MS Authenticator

MS Authenticator

MS Authenticator

Blocked due to "insecure app"

Outlook 2016 (Android)

MS Authenticator

MS Authenticator

MS Authenticator

not tested

Apple Mail (High Sierra)

App password

App password

App password

Google Authenticator

Apple Mail (iPhone)

MS Authenticator

MS Authenticator

MS Authenticator

MS Authenticator

Browser-based email

MS Authenticator

MS Authenticator

MS Authenticator

Google Authenticator

Michael Edwards

• Edited by Michael Edwards Tuesday, May 22, 2018 2:21 PM corrected GoDaddy Office 365 on Outlook 2016
    Monday, May 21, 2018 6:55 PM