Display Language setting RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,
    I'm looking forward to buy a new laptop. I'm living in Japan now. Dell and HP providing only Japanese Vista with their new laptop. I dont want to spend any more bucks for a new operating system. Is it possible to set the display language as English in Windows Vista?
    Sunday, October 7, 2007 2:50 AM

All replies

• Depending on the Vista version you are using, you can select (and install) language packs. The Japanese version can be multi-language with Japanese selected by default, or a localized version.

You cannot change the language for a localized version.

But normally, when you buy a computer with a localized version, it is possible to select the preferred language during the first install. Just ask your Japanese reseller if this is the case for Japan as well.

Thursday, October 11, 2007 8:51 AM
  • You choose the language you want during the first boot of the OS.  You are prompted with a set of language choices during the first boot.  For Vista editions other than Ultimate or Enterprise, the answers you give in the language and location dialog box determine the OS language thereafter. 

If you purchase Vista Ultimate or Vista Enterprise, you can change languages after first boot.  You can download and install a Language Install Pack (LIP) from Microsoft to get any Vista-supported language placed on your system.  Note that the ability to change the language in Vista only exists with the Ultimate and Enterprise editions.  Note also that unless your installed applications are MUI-compliant (MUI is Microsoft's Multi-language User Interface technology) in the newly selected language, they may not localize properly.

Wednesday, October 17, 2007 5:32 PM