Delay Validation Clarification Needed RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Parent package that executes multiple child packages using the sequence container.  Delay Validation is set to False on the Parent package and the steps within the package.  Delay Validation is set to False on the child package and the steps with the child packages.  

We are running into random validation errors with the Parent package when calling child packages.  It's not always the same child package either.

I want to delay validation of the child packages in the parent package.  Would I set the Delay Validation to TRUE on the Sequence Container, the Child Package Task, or at the package level in the Child Package?

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 4:19 PM

Answers

• When you run child packages from parent package, try to make precedence constraint between child package(execute package task) in master package. This calls child packages in specified order. This is also beneficial when there is PK,FK relations among (tables listed in)child packages.

Thanks,

hsbal

• Proposed as answer by Mike Yin Friday, January 25, 2013 1:20 AM
    • Marked as answer by Mike Yin Sunday, February 3, 2013 4:40 PM
    Thursday, January 24, 2013 9:19 PM

All replies

• Using the DelayValidation most probably has nothing to do with the occasional random different child package validation failures I suspect.

How do you execute the children packages? Out of process I guess. Then you should enable delay validation on the child ones if you wish, but again, I think the issue is somewhere else.

Arthur My Blog

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 4:25 PM
  • Actually, Child packages are not executed Out of Process.  Perhaps I should visit a new approach to the child packages to prevent a single process from overloading the box? Resource contention was my first suspicion with the random validation failures.
    Tuesday, January 22, 2013 4:42 PM
  • You may want to run them Out of Process.

One typically uses the Delay Validation option because a package(s) connects to different sources or often changing sources, but then if fails (give us the error please as it may hold the key to the mystery) when one or more of the sources are unable to accept a connection.

Arthur My Blog

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 4:52 PM
  • Right now, this is all I have for the package that failed.   Trying to get more details at the moment.

Error 0xC0012050 while preparing to load the package. Package failed validation from the ExecutePackage task. The package cannot run.  .  

Thursday, January 24, 2013 6:57 PM
  • When you run child packages from parent package, try to make precedence constraint between child package(execute package task) in master package. This calls child packages in specified order. This is also beneficial when there is PK,FK relations among (tables listed in)child packages.

Thanks,

hsbal

• Proposed as answer by Mike Yin Friday, January 25, 2013 1:20 AM
    • Marked as answer by Mike Yin Sunday, February 3, 2013 4:40 PM
    Thursday, January 24, 2013 9:19 PM