System process using CPU cycles RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I recently installed Windows 7 Pro and all worked for a couple months. Now all of a sudden the CPU usage is going up to 70% Did a scan with Avast no virus detected.

Looking at Task Manager, System process (Not System Idle Process) is eating CPU cycles.

In general I know that System Idle Process should be at about 98% and all the rest at 0% when the CPU is idle. But now System is eating up cycles at about 45% and System Idle is at 50%

Using Process Explorer and looking at the process breakdown, ACPI.sys+0x1af44 is taking up most of the CPU cycles.

There is also 2 csrss.exe running and one is taking up 3% CPU.

I have looked around and it seems that a few people have issues with ACPI.sys. I tried to suspend it, but I get....  "Unable to access thread: The system cannot find the file specified" But if I look under Windows/System32/Drivers it's there...

I have...

Windows 7 Pro. Most windows updates. Removed some the latest thinking it was maybe the update.

Tyan K8WE Thunder Mobo BIOs 1.04

Dual AMD Opteron

4GB RAM

Looked in BIOS there no ACPI settings, unless they are called something else. AMD PowerOn is disabled.

Thursday, March 3, 2011 4:54 AM

Answers