Windows 10 - Unable to download Feature Update 1703 from a WSUS 2016 server RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

i am trying to update some test clients to Win 10 1703 from Win 10 1607, and to do this i created a specific computer group into the WSUS 2016 server, to be able to create a lab environment and approve the upgrade only for this environment, not for all the clients. In the WSUS server I approved the new feature Update just for the new Computer Group.

The clients are assigned to the new group using an AD Security Group, adding the Computer Accounts to the group.
    To deploy the environment, I created a new GPO, which sets the "Windows Components/Windows Update/Defer Windows Updates" keys to:
    - Select the branch readiness level for the feature updates you want to receive: Current Branch
    - After a feature update is released, defer receiving it for this many days: 0
    - Pause feature updates: Disabled

I applied the new GPO just on the new security group, using the Security filtering in the GPO Scope.

The "standard" Windows Update GPO is disabled for those computers, using a specific deny into the Delegation Tab of the GPO.

If i perform a GPRESULT /R on those computers, i see that the new GPO is applied correctly, and the "standard" update GPO is no more applied.

But after that, if i perform a check for updates on the clients, it says the device is up to date, it does not shows to me the new upgrade. If i look into the WSUS console, i correctly see the computers into the new Computer Group.
    If i look to the upgrades, into the WSUS Updates section, i see that the upgrades are needed by 0 clients...

Any clue?

Someone else has similar issues with the 1703 upgrade on WSUS?

Thanks to all.

Massimo.

Friday, April 14, 2017 2:45 PM

All replies

• Hi Massimo Chierici,

I tested in my lab that win10 1607 clients could download the upgrade file and upgrade to 1703 successfully via WSUS server 2016;

As for your issue, please check the following things:

1. If the WSUS server 2016 patched with the latest monthly rollup, if not, please install the latest monthly rollup, then re-sync and re-download the 1703 upgrade file;

2. Check if the win10 clients report to the WSUS server after syncing the 1703 upgrade, if not, please wait for the clients to report;

3. If the win10 clients have issues to report to the WSUS server, please reset windows update components on the clients, check if it could help:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 17, 2017 6:06 AM
  • Hi,

Just to check if the above reply could be of help? If yes, you may mark useful reply as answer, if not, welcome to feedback.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 19, 2017 2:54 AM