none
Short term protection to Disk AND Tape with DPM 2010??? RRS feed

• Question

• We have just installed DPM 2010 on the advice of our reseller, but now that it has been set up it appears that we cannot backup to disk AND have incremental daily backups to tape, or can we??

Any advice would be appreciated.

Wednesday, June 9, 2010 1:36 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Yes, I guess I see your point.  Secondary DPM server in DR site would be the next best option, but that would be to disk again for short term and tape for long term.  But that takes care of DR for both the primary DPM server and continued protection of protected servers at the same time should you loose Primary DPM server / site entirely.  You would need to put pencil to paper to weight the costs associated with that idea.

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, June 9, 2010 11:31 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Long term backup to tape will always be full backups.  The only way to get incremental backups on tape is to do Short term backup to tape.

Since short term to disk is equivelent to incremental backups (IE we only bring over changed data between synchronizations), why do you feel you need incremental backup on tape ?  

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, June 9, 2010 2:00 PM
  • Hi Mike

Thanks for the reply. The reason that we need to do daily incrementals to tape is to give us disaster recovery. What happens if the SAN packs up or the server room burns down - we could lose a week's worth of data.

The disk to disk gives us rapid restore in the event of lost data. The disk to tape gives us disaster recovery.

Wednesday, June 9, 2010 10:33 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, I guess I see your point.  Secondary DPM server in DR site would be the next best option, but that would be to disk again for short term and tape for long term.  But that takes care of DR for both the primary DPM server and continued protection of protected servers at the same time should you loose Primary DPM server / site entirely.  You would need to put pencil to paper to weight the costs associated with that idea.

Wednesday, June 9, 2010 11:31 PM