Incident Assigned user notification not working RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

We have created workflows for intimating Users and IT persons whenever an incident is created and assigned.

The end user notification works but IT person notification for assigned tickets is not being generated.

I tried changing Email templates with new custom template for assigned user. Still the mail is not generated.

When i checked the Action logs under status option for each incident, it says succeeded. But the mails are not being generated to IT person.

any help on how to troubleshoot this?

regards

Sundaresan.

regards Sundaresan.C

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 7:04 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I would double check the "logic" of the workflow.

Perhaps, the assigned to user is not added on the workflow.

As per your scenario, you should have two notifications

1 for Affected User

1 for Assigned To User.

F.

As long as you learn something new every day, the day is not wasted.

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 7:49 AM
  • Yes i have checked the workflow logic.

I have added these two things in the workflow. 

Is there any way to check the mail flow with any other additional logs info?

regards

sundaresan.

regards Sundaresan.C

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 8:07 AM
  • All workflow events are logged in the OpsMan Event log on the "Wokflow" server, first SCSM server installed.

I would then look through the log and see if there is any issue there.

Under Adminstration -> Workflows -> Status

Are there any issues there with the workflow?

F.

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 8:09 AM
  • Hi

I checked the workflows status and it gives us this image.

Also when i checked the even viewr for opsmanager events, it gives me an error event for every mail it generates.

The System Center Data Access service client failed to send a notification via the SMTP server: 
    mail.sulekha.net
    Exception message:
    System.Net.Mail.SmtpFailedRecipientException: Mailbox unavailable. The server response was: 5.1.1 User unknown
       at System.Net.Mail.SmtpTransport.SendMail(MailAddress sender, MailAddressCollection recipients, String deliveryNotify, SmtpFailedRecipientException& exception)
       at System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient.Send(MailMessage message)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.NotificationManagement.SendNotifications(String from, IList`1 toList, IList`1 ccList, IList`1 bccList, String subject, String content, Int32 priority, Encoding encoding, Boolean isBodyHtml, Boolean isMulticast, Int32 protocol, String replyTo, String server, Int32 portNumber, String authentication)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.NotificationManagement.SendInternal(IDictionary`2 ToAddress, NotificationMessage Message, String FromAddress, IDictionary`2 TokenValues)

But New incident open mail notification to the user goes successfully.

regards

Any help.

regards Sundaresan.C

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 8:46 AM
  • Perhaps this is worth a look

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/systemcenterservicemanager/thread/9b687a25-8fcc-476c-a807-e4fdb8ad2b53

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 8:53 AM
  • Hi

I have already checked this. It talks about different issue as exchange rejects it as spam filtering. 

But what i get the error was as user unknown and mailbox unavailable. The id what we use it for our incident management has a mailbox and it is windows integrated. If this is the case, then no notification should work. But it works for end user and not for assigned user.

regards

Sundaresan

regards Sundaresan.C

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 8:58 AM
  • Is this for all "assigned to" users?

Perhaps your template is corrupted, has happened to me.

Try specifying a template you know works.

Just an idea :)

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 8:59 AM
  • hi

i tried specifying the default incident template and still it works only for affected user and not for assigned user.

I also changed email templates but still it does not work. Really awkward.

regards

Sundaresan

regards Sundaresan.C

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 9:44 AM
  • I still troubleshooted it but could find couple of hints.

1. usually for generating a successful notification workflow for both created user and assigned user, it will of 24 steps in the status. But what it looks like as only 16 stems has been completed. And i feel the workflow is not able to complete full.

Any help on troubleshooting the workflow why it is not completing fully? or any other logs where we can find this incomplete information?

2. Now for Resolving mail to end user notification that your incident has been resolved, it is generating an email but the recipient column is blank. Hence the mail is not delivered. See my Exchange server log as

any help with this?

regards

Sundaresan.

regards Sundaresan.C

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 2:50 PM
  • Hi,

can you check the end user Ci item in the CMDB of Service Manager and see if there is an e-mail address listed there?

F.

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 6:19 AM
  • yes it is listed with both SMTP and SIP ids. 

regards

Sundaresan.

regards Sundaresan.C

Thursday, September 20, 2012 4:40 AM
  • can you try to test your smtp relay using command prompt to send an e-mail to one of the affected users.

You can  do this via CMD or powershell.

Want to test the relay capability :)

Thursday, September 20, 2012 6:59 AM
  • Actually for the same user, i am able to get incident created mail as created / affected user.

But Assigned user / resolved user mail is what not being reached.

So it seems there is no problem in relaying the mail. because the SCSM is not able to generate the mail for Assigned user and not enclosing the recipient mail id for resolved user, our mail server was not able to deliver it.

regards Sundaresan.C

Thursday, September 20, 2012 7:04 AM
  • Are you using two different e-mail templates?

Perhaps, if you are, you can use the same template for both, just to test.

Perhaps the one template is not happy.

F.

Thursday, September 20, 2012 7:06 AM
  • I tried by applying the same template and different templates. All in vain. End result is nothing. Still problem persists.

No clue what so ever.

regards Sundaresan.C

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 5:52 AM
  • Can you show us the subscription? (if made via console) Maybe the related user is wrong
    Saturday, October 27, 2012 9:40 PM