none
How To Access a Hyper-V Virtual Machine From A Remote Location RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone,

I have a pretty simple question which I can't seem to find the answer to:

How can I access a Hyper-V Virtual Machine from outside my network from a remote location?

I want to be able to take my notebook home with me and use my home wifi internet connection to remotely access my VM in the office.
    Do I have to setup some port forwarding, firewall config, etc?
    Apologies for my ignorance, I am pretty new to virtual desktop.

Thanks in advance

Wednesday, July 3, 2013 2:38 PM

Answers

• It really doesn't matter that its a Hyper-V VM.

How do you access a physical computer remotely?  Same thing. 

The exact steps will vary.  Do you have a VPN?  That's the best place to start.  If not you'll need to configure your router/firewall to allow traffic to your VM.

For future reference, please post Hyper-V questions in the Hyper-V forum.  This forum is for Virtual Server 2005.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/home?forum=winserverhyperv

• Marked as answer by ICUco Thursday, July 4, 2013 1:10 PM
    Wednesday, July 3, 2013 5:44 PM
  • True, it realy doesn't matter if it's psychical or virtual. The same approach is needed. I'm not sure if VPN is available at your office. If not than you have to configure the router/firewall (port 3389) at the office and enable RDP port 3389 at the Virtual Machine. If you need more help feel free to ask and give us some more information please.

Kind Regards,

Laurens

Wednesday, July 3, 2013 9:02 PM

All replies

• It really doesn't matter that its a Hyper-V VM.

How do you access a physical computer remotely?  Same thing. 

The exact steps will vary.  Do you have a VPN?  That's the best place to start.  If not you'll need to configure your router/firewall to allow traffic to your VM.

For future reference, please post Hyper-V questions in the Hyper-V forum.  This forum is for Virtual Server 2005.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/home?forum=winserverhyperv

Wednesday, July 3, 2013 5:44 PM
  • True, it realy doesn't matter if it's psychical or virtual. The same approach is needed. I'm not sure if VPN is available at your office. If not than you have to configure the router/firewall (port 3389) at the office and enable RDP port 3389 at the Virtual Machine. If you need more help feel free to ask and give us some more information please.

Kind Regards,

Laurens

Wednesday, July 3, 2013 9:02 PM
  • Thanks Steve & Lauren for your prompt replies.

I will configure RDP on the virtual machines & change the RDP port for each in order to connect in remotely.

Regards,

Roger

Thursday, July 4, 2013 1:12 PM