Extract MORE THAN email addresses from Outlook distribution list RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm wondering about how you can extract data from an Outlook distribution list, but not just the email addresses. I'm already aware of the method that you can expand, copy to a spreadsheet and go text to columns to get the names and email adresses.

What I'm asking is about all the extra detail contained in the contact card.

The distribution list I'm working with contains only internal email addresses at my firm so for every email address in the 'To' bar, you can hover the cursor and see department, grade, cost code etc in the Lync/Skype for Business popup box.

So what I'd like to do is be able to export all that detail for each user in the distribution list but haven't been able to find a way to do so.

Regards,

Ben

Wednesday, November 4, 2015 10:02 AM

Answers

• So what I'd like to do is be able to export all that detail for each user in the distribution list but haven't been able to find a way to do so.

Your only choice at the moment is write your own code. A DL in Outlook can be comprised of 3 different <Member> item types

1 - One-off entry that only contains a DisplayName & Email Address (either manually entered that way or referencing an Outlook contact item that was deleted after being added to the DL or moved to a different data store which would result in the item having a different EntryID

2 - Contact item that can reside in any contact folder in the Outlook profile

3 - A GAL entry (if Exchange is in play)

Karl Timmermans [Outlook MVP] "Outlook Contact Import/Export/Data Mgmt" http://www.contactgenie.com

Wednesday, November 4, 2015 12:16 PM