none
Project Managers Time clocked RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

How do I clock project manager's working/activity time effectively.?

At the beginning of the project PM is very busy with a lot of work which we can easily identify the task and assign PM to the task.

However during the execution phase PM spends most of his time monitoring and controlling and attending weekly meetings or sending weekly status reports. How do I put this in my MS project so that I can account for his full days work (8 hrs) during the execution phase. 

I tried creating a Task "Monitor and Control" assign to PM for the whole period of let say 2 months. However I have a recurring weekly status reporting task during the same period where PM spends 2 hours each week on this. Because of this I am getting all the red man poping up informing me that PM is over-allocated during the recurring task period.

My question is how best to avoid this over allocation and or how best to clock the PM's time during the execution phase? Is there a video or link where I can get more information on this.

Look forward to your answers

K

Monday, October 24, 2016 3:33 PM

All replies

• I guess my first question is to ask if in your plan you really need to "account" for the PM's (and everyone else in the meeting) time to that level of detail? I would think that accounting for time be in your timesheet system (if you have one and need to account/bill for meeting time separate from other tasks). But if you do, then for whatever resource time you put in plan for meeting tasks, you have to take that time out of the other tasks planned for that same resource. There are no magic tricks. Just have to have a plan for the time available broken into the pieces that make sense and has value. It's arithmetic.

--rms www.rmschneider.com

• Edited by Rob Schneider Monday, October 24, 2016 5:39 PM thick finger repairs.
    Monday, October 24, 2016 5:35 PM
  • Kish,

I agree with Rob. Do you really need to individually track meetings? Most likely not.

In most cases support and management activities on a project are level of effort. In other words, except for perhaps a few special activities, there is no easy way to define specific trackable tasks for their effort so one way to include their effort in the plan is to either have a single task line that spans the entire project, (it could be a hammock task), or individual periodic tasks (e.g. weekly, monthly, etc.).

With a single task you can use several assignment approaches. You can simply have a level of effort, use one of Project's built-in work contours (Work Contour field in either Usage view), or manually load the effort over the period of performance. Personally, I like the periodic tasking approach (e.g. monthly), since it offers more flexibility.

Hope this helps.

John

Monday, October 24, 2016 6:00 PM