scheduled shutdowns/shutdown programs RRS feed

• Question

• Ive found a couple of shutdown programs that Id like to use with steady state. Im in a computer lab setting and already use the hard disk protection and log off timer. The program works wonders!

I want to be able to use one of the shutdown programs to schedule a daily shutdown.(i use the program because the scheduled taks acronyms confuse me .. lol) 

Im having a hard time getting this done when it comes to setting my hard disk protection settings. Should I enable remove all changes, retain changes?

WHat i did:

I setup the user account(including the shutdown program)
    logged off user
    log on admin
    lock user profile and set restrictions
    log off admin
    click on save changes and restart

However, when I log back on user all the restrictions are set and the shutdown timer shows the scheduled time, but when the time hits, nothing..

I hope I made any sense..lol

thanks in advance

Thursday, September 13, 2007 7:56 PM

Answers

• Hi Turbulent,

Thanks for Rico’s input.

I am not sure how your shutdown program works. However, you can refer to Robert’s method to reset or shutdown the system:

Reset my System every Day at 00:00

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsToolsandUtilities/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1882563&SiteID=69

If you would like to shutdown the system instead or reset, please change the content to the following command:

C:\windows\system32\shutdown.exe -s -f -t 200

If anything is unclear, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Monday, September 17, 2007 7:25 AM

All replies

• I use a script in scheduled task for my computers to shut off every night and I have my disk protedtion set at remove all changes. Hope this helps

P.S. I don't use the script to shut down from the steadystate program at all.

Rico

Friday, September 14, 2007 12:22 AM
  • Hi Turbulent,

Thanks for Rico’s input.

I am not sure how your shutdown program works. However, you can refer to Robert’s method to reset or shutdown the system:

Reset my System every Day at 00:00

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsToolsandUtilities/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1882563&SiteID=69

If you would like to shutdown the system instead or reset, please change the content to the following command:

C:\windows\system32\shutdown.exe -s -f -t 200

If anything is unclear, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Monday, September 17, 2007 7:25 AM
  • first of all, thank you.

I got the shutdown issue figured out, but now I have anothre problem:

My setup:
    using steady state Ive assigned 40 minutes on each computer to before log off. That is, after 40 mins they go back to welcome screen.

the problem:
    What ever time I schedule the shutdown for,  will not operate once the cpmuter is logged off. Im in a school setting and the 40 minutes are allocated usage time for each class coming in. The idea is that each class gets a fresh new 40 minutes once the log in.( Id like to keep this feature)

I tried using scheduled task to run my shutdown, but it wont work. Problem is that towards the end of the day, whichever computer is not logged on, wont shutdown.

By the way, student accounts dont require password(in case this is relevant)

What Id like to see work:

After the 40mins computers log off. 10 iddle log off. Schedule shutdown at end of day even when the computer is logged off.
    Tuesday, September 25, 2007 7:17 PM
  • Hi Turbulent,

Based on my test, Scheduled Tasks also runs after logging off. The above issue can occur if:

1. Your Scheduled Task was not created correctly. Please right click your schedule task and click Run to test it.

2. When creating Scheduled Tasks, the user name you entered doesn’t have privilege to shutdown the system. Please input your administrator user name & password (required) when creating tasks. You can also log in administrator account to create Scheduled Tasks.

Note: Password is required when creating Scheduled Tasks. Otherwise, task may not run. You can refer to the following article:

Scheduled Tasks cannot run with a blank password

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310715

Best Regards,

Wednesday, September 26, 2007 11:00 AM