Product ID is Correct by Install Says NO! RRS feed

• Question

• Our 6 year old emachines PC recently got stuck in a boot loop with "Cannot find Autochk.sys" error.  After trying virtually every possible fix, I decided to try and do a repair/reinstall.  I had created the install disk when we bought the PC, so I pulled them out, stuck them in and started doing the repair/reinstall process.

The problem is that it's not recognizing my valid key - the one off of the sticker on the back of the machine.  NOTE:  It was running SP 3.

The emachines came with XP Media Center which we've since kept updated with service packs and updates.

I'm looking at the XP install screen where it asks for the product key, double/triple/quadruple checked the right key has been typed in.  Now what?

NOTE:  The system is underpowered for either Vista or Win7... not to mention I don't want to dump any money into it.  It's what the kids use to do their homework and use the internet... not much else.  And email... can't forget that.
    • Edited by 3dp Friday, September 23, 2011 3:59 PM more info
    Friday, September 23, 2011 3:55 PM

All replies

• I decided to try and do a repair/reinstall.  I had created the install disk when we bought the PC,

What do you mean you created a install disc?

Did your emachine come with a Windows XP OS disc? And is it the original disc to that computer?

Friday, September 23, 2011 4:32 PM
  • The PC didn't come with a disc, but a utility to create install and rescue discs.  I have a CD that restores the PC to "factory conditions", which wipes apps and data, which I don't want to do.  But I also have an "Install" disc that is essentially an XP Media Center disc.  It is "original" to the computer as I made it first thing after I turn the machine on.
    Friday, September 23, 2011 5:02 PM

• The PC didn't come with a disc, but a utility to create install and rescue discs.  I have a CD that restores the PC to "factory conditions", which wipes apps and data, which I don't want to do.  But I also have an "Install" disc that is essentially an XP Media Center disc.  It is "original" to the computer as I made it first thing after I turn the machine on.

I had the same problem with my Mother inlaws desktop PC. It had Windows XP media center edition rollback 2, and had a copied on to for repair, it`s useless as anybody knows.  Save yourself the headache and use the original OS disc and format the hard drive and install as new. Get all Microsoft updates installed. Then find out what motherboard and/or processor you have, go to there site, and click on there support button, they should have a tool to scan your computer for updates to your chipset/motherboard drivers, This will bring your system up to date as posible. alkso look in microsoft updates in custom updates for more driver updates if listed.

Using the Original OS disc to that computer, you should not have to enter the product key, nor should it ask you on a clean new install. But if it does, and it does not work, then the disc is not the original to that computers os sticker.

If you need further help in reloading the os, let me know.

• Edited by GambitMaster Saturday, September 24, 2011 1:49 AM
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 1:48 AM