none
Windows 10 Deployment: Mandatory Profile Breaks Cortana and Search RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

Been pulling my hair out for months working with this OS and MDT. I'm creating a master image (Golden) on a virtual machine and when the software for our organization is installed, and a test user logs into the Virtual machine for the first time, Cortana and search are disabled. Logs also show errors with initializing "Search". Here are my image build steps:

-Install OS, log into machine with default Administrator account

-Create a local administrator account. Log off of "built-In" admin account.

-Install updates. Rename and join computer to domain

-Log into VM with a default domain account (Used to customize apps for domain users).  Install and configure apps.

-Log off domain account. Log in with "new" local admin account

-Copy domain user account profile to the "Default" profile. Use regedit to load "Default" hive. Remove references of domain account"

-Remove domain account SID and user folder.

-Remove VM from domain

-Sysprep, and Shutdown. 

When I use a domain joined account to log into the VM, Cortana and Search is disabled. When I log into the machine as the newly created "Admin" account. Search and Cortana work as expected. For some reason it seems to be permissions related to the "Apps" folder, but Im not sure. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 5:58 PM

Answers

• Exception code: 0xc000027b

Another reason to use ProcMon to try to see what is going on.

Otherwise here's a guess

PS>net helpmsg (0x027b)

{Virtual Memory Minimum Too Low}
    Your system is low on virtual memory. Windows is increasing the size of your virtual memory paging file.
    During this process, memory requests for some applications may be denied. For more information, see Help.

Also, something like that probably would be reflected in the Event log.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, January 27, 2016 8:31 PM

All replies

• seems to be permissions related to the "Apps" folder

ProcMon could help you check that hypothesis as well as supplement your known diagnostics.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, January 27, 2016 1:10 AM
  • Hi,

Please let us know the exact error message or symptoms when you launch those apps. Did other app works fine?

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 27, 2016 8:31 AM
  • Will do. I will recreate the error message and will update in a few.
    Wednesday, January 27, 2016 3:31 PM
  • You "should" be using Sysprep's Copyprofie feature to make a new Default profile.  Although copyprofile has been known to be broken in some versions of Windows 10.  I think the start menu, search, and the "system->about" section of settings are very fragile in windows 10, depending on the user profile.

• Edited by JS2010 Wednesday, January 27, 2016 4:22 PM
    Wednesday, January 27, 2016 4:12 PM
  • I believe at some point months ago, Copyprofile was set to true, however sysprep failed miserably. At the time, the errors were attributed to store apps being registered to user accounts that had been deleted. It may be the same issue here, but haven't tested this in some time. 
    Wednesday, January 27, 2016 4:17 PM
  • Ok. So I was able to reproduce the issue. Here is the error.

Faulting application name: SearchUI.exe, version: 10.0.10586.63, time stamp: 0x568b1fdc
    Faulting module name: SearchUI.exe, version: 10.0.10586.63, time stamp: 0x568b1fdc
    Exception code: 0xc000027b
    Fault offset: 0x00000000001a10fd
    Faulting process id: 0xbb4
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d15928ce3a6fb6
    Faulting application path: C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy\SearchUI.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy\SearchUI.exe
    Report Id: 957f2059-05ce-4c8c-beaf-9dc870045975
    Faulting package full name: Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_1.6.1.52_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy
    Faulting package-relative application ID: CortanaUI

At this time. Search and cortana are disabled. The ability to call apps when typing in the start menu is disabled as well.

Wednesday, January 27, 2016 5:41 PM
  • One more:

Fault bucket 133272870393, type 5
    Event Name: MoAppCrash
    Response: Not available
    Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
    P1: Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_1.6.1.52_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy
    P2: praid:CortanaUI
    P3: 10.0.10586.63
    P4: 568b1fdc
    P5: combase.dll
    P6: 10.0.10586.0
    P7: 5632d3ca
    P8: 80070005
    P9: 00000000000324dd
    P10: 

Wednesday, January 27, 2016 5:44 PM
  • Exception code: 0xc000027b

Another reason to use ProcMon to try to see what is going on.

Otherwise here's a guess

PS>net helpmsg (0x027b)

{Virtual Memory Minimum Too Low}
    Your system is low on virtual memory. Windows is increasing the size of your virtual memory paging file.
    During this process, memory requests for some applications may be denied. For more information, see Help.

Also, something like that probably would be reflected in the Event log.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, January 27, 2016 8:31 PM
  • Hello, by any change were you able to find a solution to this issue?  I have the exact same problem.  Sysprep works fine but when new users log in Cortana is there you can't type into the Cortana search window or user Cortana in any way.

Thanks

George

Friday, March 4, 2016 7:15 PM
  • when new users log in Cortana is there you can't type into the Cortana search window or user Cortana in any way.

Does the symptom change if they Restart?  Also, what about switching from Cortana to Search?  Win-S?  I also recommend turning on Narrator for clues.  Win-Enter.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Saturday, March 5, 2016 12:23 AM
  • Hi,

Have you been able to fix it? I am facing exact same issue with my kiosk using a mandatory profile.

thanks

Tuesday, April 5, 2016 12:04 AM
  •  same issue with my kiosk using a mandatory profile.

Another good reason to use ProcMon.  You may not be able to diagnose with Narrator (or do other experiments with the UI) but ProcMon could trace events for you.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, April 5, 2016 2:14 AM