import into a new install RRS feed

• Question

• How can I import my outlook express into win7 new installation on a new computer??
    • Moved by Carey FrischMVP Monday, August 17, 2009 5:09 PM Moved to proper category (From:Windows 7 Miscellaneous)
    Monday, August 17, 2009 5:04 PM

Answers

• I assume you are using Windows Live Mail!

EXPORT FROM OE
    1. Go to Outlook Express > Tools > Maintenance Tab > Store Folder.
    2. Make a note of its location and navigate to it. If you haven't moved it, it's here C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{GUID}\Microsoft\Outlook Express. You may have to show 'hidden' files in Folder Options to see it. Close Outlook Express.
    3. Copy the whole folder (not just the .dbx files) to an external source. Remove any ‘Read only’ attributes via right-click > Properties.
    4. In Windows Mail go to File > Import > Messages > OE6 > Next > Import Mail and follow the wizard to import your mail boxes from the copied folder you made above.
    5. Once these are imported, a sub-folder named Imported Folder is created for each one imported. Go to it and drag the messages to the proper boxes.

As an alternative to 2 above, you could move the mail boxes to an ‘easier-to-get-at’ location, i.e. Open My Documents and create a folder named Mail Boxes. Now go to Outlook Express > Tools > Maintenance Tab > Store Folder > Change and type the location of the new folder, e.g. My Docs\Mail Boxes. Close Outlook Express. The store location is now easier to navigate to and it is not hidden.

Address book
    1. Go to Outlook Express > File > Export > Address Book and select Comma Separated Values (CSV) > Export, select the fields you want or, for more safety, select all the fields and save it to an external device.
    2. In Windows Mail go to File > Import > Windows Contacts, select CSV > Import and browse to the file you exported from Outlook Express.

IMPORT TO WLM
    Go to Windows Live Mail > File (press Alt if the Menu Bar is not showing) > Import > Messages, choose OE, WLM or WM > Next > Browse to the location where they are stored and follow the wizard.

Contacts
    In Windows Live Mail go to the Windows Orb (Start), type shell:contacts and press Enter. Click Import > CSV > Import and browse to the file you exported from Outlook Express.

Monday, August 17, 2009 6:45 PM