none
Fall Creators Update caues Bluetooth to stop working?

Question

• My notebook computer just installed the Fall Creators update and after the update installed my Bluetooth now doesn't work. Device manager shows this error "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems Code 43". Of the two suggestions I found online, the first was to uninstall and then choose "Scan for hardware changes" and allow the device to be reinstalled - this didn't work; the second is "get a newer driver".

The driver currently installed is a genuine Atheros driver dated 5/18/2016, that's not that old and I don't think I need to tell anyone here that the biggest scams on the internet can be found on "driver update" websites so I trust nothing unless it's from the manufacturers website. But Qualcomm does not offer end user driver updates and the manufacturer does not have any newer drivers available.

Anyone have any idea's on how to get this to work?
    Wednesday, January 3, 2018 12:19 AM

All replies

• Open Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot > Bluetooth > Run the troubleshooter.

Uninstall and reinstall the device via Device Manager. You should download and install the bluetooth driver either from the support site of the manufacturer or via windows update.

Never download from any other third party driver support site.

S.Sengupta,Microsoft MVP Windows and Devices for IT, Windows Insider MVP

• Marked as answer by OldTimer1701 Wednesday, January 3, 2018 11:16 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by OldTimer1701 Monday, January 8, 2018 6:03 PM
    • Proposed as answer by S.SenguptaMVP Thursday, January 25, 2018 11:41 PM
    Wednesday, January 3, 2018 12:31 AM
  • Hi,

When you get this error with USB devices it’s because one of the drivers controlling the device notified the operating system that the device failed in some manner. This can be because of corruption in one of the loaded drivers and the driver cache just needs to be flushed. Unplugging the computer sometimes doesn’t resolve the problem because the battery still holds power. To fix this, unplug all of your USB devices, then turn off the PC and take out the battery (This is assuming that you’re on a laptop), let the PC set for about 5 minutes, then put the battery back in and restart the PC. Next, plug your USB devices back in one at a time and make sure that they work.

If this does not work or you’re on a desktop, follow the steps in this KB article

Error: “USB Device not recognized” when you try to access a USB external hard drive.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/2654149/error-usb-device-not-recognized-when-you-try-to-access-a-usb-external

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 3, 2018 4:22 AM
  • The troubleshooter fixed the problem.
    Wednesday, January 3, 2018 11:16 PM
  • Actually, I spoke too soon. The troubleshooter gets the Bluetooth working again, but once I shutdown and restart the Bluetooth is again not working and I'm now having to run the troubleshooter each time I boot up in order to get the Bluetooth working.

Any idea's how to permanently fix this problem?

Monday, January 8, 2018 6:04 PM
  • I also have this issue, i have noticed it today but i think it started 3 days ago when i did the update, as my fitbit stopped syncing to the app on my computer. I tried speaking to Microsoft on their chat function about it, but they have failed to solve the issue. I have tried updating, but it was already up to date; uninstall reinstall, however that didnt work; repeatedly doing the above, also didnt work. Seems like something in the update must have really messed up the system.
    Monday, January 8, 2018 9:16 PM
  • LaCaKe:

You can try the Bluetooth troubleshooter: Update & Security / on the left click Troubleshoot then from the list select Bluetooth.

As I just posted this works for me but only for my current session, as soon as I shutdown and restart my Bluetooth is back to a non-working state and I have to run the troubleshooter again every time I turn the computer on.

Very frustrating.

Monday, January 8, 2018 10:32 PM
  • Hi,

We haven’t heard from you for a couple of days, have you solved the problem?  

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 10, 2018 5:57 AM
  • Tao:

As I posted on Monday January 8th, the issue is NOT resolved.

While the Bluetooth troubleshooter "Reinstall's the Bluetooth Module" and seems to work for a while (see next paragraph) after shutdown and restart the Bluetooth is back to not working again and I have to run the troubleshooter every boot up in order to use the Bluetooth.

Also if the Bluetooth is working after running the troubleshooter and I leave the notebook sitting for a couple hours the Bluetooth again stops working however when I run the troubleshooter this time is claims to fix a problem with the Bluetooth Radio and then the Bluetooth works again. First when plugged in the computer is set to never suspend or hibernate and all advanced power settings are set to not shut down any hardware while plugged in and these problems happen when plugged in as I rarely use the notebook on battery.

Any suggestions on how to permanently fix this problem? Also it seems like other people are also reporting Bluetooth issues after installing the Fall Creators Update?

Wednesday, January 10, 2018 5:59 PM
  • Tony:

Still waiting for some help here?

Also I've also noticed a number of times after running the troubleshooter and getting Bluetooth to work that is will suddenly stop working and when I run the troubleshooter again that it reports that it "Fixed the Bluetooth radio".

I'm seeing lots of reports of Bluetooth problems after the Fall Creators Update but no solutions, what's being done to fix this since it's clearly a Windows problem?

Tuesday, January 16, 2018 6:05 PM
  • Still waiting for some help here; problem still exists and last week when I was using my computer during one evening my Bluetooth mouse stopped working 6 times during a three hour period. Running the troubleshooter just apparently fixed the bluetooth radio and it started working again but this needs to get resolved.
    Tuesday, January 23, 2018 10:49 PM
  • I have the same issue. HP say there is an issue with the latest Microsoft update, and they are working to get it resolved.  Updating the driver and reinstalling the driver and doing a restore made no difference. The trouble shooter says there is no Bluetooth installed on the computer (groan Microsoft crap software) so we are in limbo till Microsoft get a patch to fix it.  great having my Bluetooth turned off and no button to turn it on.!!
    Thursday, February 15, 2018 3:35 AM
  • Tommo55:

If this is a bug introduced in the Fall Creators update and Microsoft doesn't have a fix, that's really messed up.

Tuesday, February 20, 2018 9:26 PM
  • Microsoft or Any MVP:

Since January I've had the problem I described above with Bluetooth on my notebook. I finally got so fed up with it I bought a new SSD; backed up my data and swapped in the SSD and installed the latest Windows 10 build 1803. After getting the Intel chipset drivers installed and Windows downloaded drivers for any hardware that didn't already have drivers installed the Bluetooth Module problem seems to be fixed.

So the current Qualcomm Atheros bluetooth driver that is now installed is actually older than the one that was previously installed, dated 6/27/15 and version 10.0.1.1.

The previous problem with the Bluetooth module having to be reinstalled on every boot has been fixed. However the problem with the Bluetooth radio being off and needing to run the Bluetooth troubleshooter to turn it on is not fixed. Also when I use the troubleshooter to turn the radio back on it's incredibly flaky and it can work for an hour without a problem or as short a period as 5 minutes or any time in between and suddenly the Bluetooth Radio will turn itself off and I have to run the troubleshooter to turn it back on.

Also I've noticed that if I open the Bluetooth control it says that Bluetooth is on but doesn't appear to be working. Sometimes now if I run the troubleshooter it will say it failed to fix the Bluetooth radio problem but if I try again it gets fixed on the second try.

This problem has now been going on since the Fall Creators update (1709?) and apparently has not been fixed in 1803, does anyone have any idea's how to fix this problem?

• Edited by NormAtHome Thursday, May 10, 2018 3:09 PM
    Thursday, May 10, 2018 3:08 PM
  • Any Microsoft MVP here have any insight? Anyone?
    Saturday, September 15, 2018 12:49 AM