Domain renaming RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am using Windows Server 2012R2 as an Active Directory Domain Controller and SCCM SP1 on windows Server 2012R2. Now i need to rename the existing Active Directory. How i can do this , what will be the impact on SCCM and how i can integrate the existing SCCM environment with new domain name.

Thanks

Nasir

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 8:42 AM

Answers

• Hi,

It is not supported to do a rename with SCCM in the domain so a reinstall is the only option.

"

After a site system server is installed, it is not supported to change:
    • The domain name of the domain where the site system computer is located (also called a domain rename)

• The domain membership of the computer"

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg682077.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

/Jörgen

-- My System Center blog ccmexec.com -- Twitter @ccmexec

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 8:45 AM
  • Hi,

For Exchange I believe it can be done, I would contact MS for assistance on that and for SCCM you simply need to install a new SCCM infrastructure after the domain rename and install/redirect the clients to the new Site.

for the other System Center products I don't now the support statement for domain rename.

Regards,
    Jörgen.

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 12:38 PM

All replies

• Hi,

It is not supported to do a rename with SCCM in the domain so a reinstall is the only option.

"

After a site system server is installed, it is not supported to change:
    • The domain name of the domain where the site system computer is located (also called a domain rename)

• The domain membership of the computer"

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg682077.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

/Jörgen

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 8:45 AM
  • OKy thanks,

How i can domain rename if i have the followings,

SCCM 2012SP1

SCVMM 2012SP1

SCOM 2012SP1

and Exchange Server 2013

Thanks

Nasir

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 9:03 AM
  • Hi,

For Exchange I believe it can be done, I would contact MS for assistance on that and for SCCM you simply need to install a new SCCM infrastructure after the domain rename and install/redirect the clients to the new Site.

for the other System Center products I don't now the support statement for domain rename.

Regards,
    Jörgen.

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 12:38 PM
  • Hi,

As Jorgen said, we recommend you create a MS support request.

Please post back any response you get in case others have the same problem.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 2:28 AM