none
Printers in computer lab won't always deploy with group policy

Question

• I have an issue that sometimes group policy will not deploy printers to a computer in our lab. This is using "Printer Connections" for the computer, as we want printers to install on startup to avoid slow user logins.

In the Group Policy event logs, I find that it is not even trying to deploy the printer, because of:

"No changes were detected."

My unsubstantiated guess is that at some point these computers tried to install the printers with the group policy, but failed ultimately. For whatever reason, group policy thinks it's done at this point and from then on because the group policy has not changed, it does not try to reinstall them, even though they are missing.

Any suggestions? I'd say it happens on about 10% of our machines.

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 12:30 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    Please share us the detail settings in the GPO.
    And if you are using group policy preference to deploying the printers, to ensure that preferences are applied to clients, make sure that clients have the CSEs and XMLLite installed. Please see details from:
    Group Policy Preferences Not Applying on Some Clients: Client-Side Extension, XMLLite
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/grouppolicy/archive/2009/03/27/group-policy-preferences-not-applying-on-some-clients-client-side-extension-xmllite.aspx
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 7:23 AM
  • Hi, I do not understand your request for detail settings in the GPO. In the Group Policy, there is only one setting configured, and it is:

Computer Configuration (Enabled) -> Policies -> Windows Settings -> Printer Connections -> Path -> \\ourserver\printername

We are running Windows 10 1607. These machines are identically configured (SCCM task sequence), and the group policy fails on a random percentage of them, but work successfully on the other.

XMLLite is installed on any new OS, I assume the CSE is up to date as well in Windows 10.

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 9:45 PM
  • Hi, 

I believe the best way is to go to your print Server and open Print Manager then go to the printer that you wish to deploy. Right Click and select deploy with GPO. Add for user (as it will refresh over a gpupdate without a reboot) 

Then, select the GPO you use to deploy the printer and go to User Settings > Preferences > Control Panel > Printers and add the printer in create mode.

This will be adding your printer and will show at your user's end.  

Hope this finds helpful.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------- YOSHIKA04 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday, January 26, 2017 4:00 AM