none
Baseline Microsoft Project RRS feed

• Question

• I have a question about baseline in Microsoft Project. I only have “Baseline 1” and “Baseline 2” values in my project, not for the first one named “Baseline”. Does that mean that I do not have a baseline?  Is it possible to use “Baseline 2” as Baseline?  I have started to use and report in the plan, so dates and durations have changed since “Baseline 2”. Now I also want to see the progress line against my baseline and not only the live plan.

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 3:51 PM

All replies

• You can absolutely use Baseline 2, if that's what you want to use. You just need to remember to use that in all your formulae.

Also, the standard fields like Finish Variance, Start variance etc., use Baseline so they may not have an accurate value.

You could also easily copy Baseline 2 into Baseline, if you want to take advantage of all native calculations. (Project >> Set Baselin >> Copy Interim Plan).

Cheers,

Prasanna Adavi, Project MVP

Blog:   Podcast:    Twitter:    LinkedIn:   

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 5:09 PM
  • Prasanna,

I don't think he needs to copy any fields. All the user needs to do is to set the option for which baseline to use under File/Options/Advanced group/"Earned value options for this project". Not only will the option determine which baseline is used for earned value calculations, but it will also determine which baseline is used for variance calculations.

John

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 6:01 PM
  • The variance values (Start Variance, Finish Variance) etc can easily be calculated from Baseline2.  Go to File > Options, Advanced.  Under "Earned Value Options for this project" select Baseline 2.

That should take care of all of the calculations.

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 6:04 PM