none
Project 2013 PV Auto scheduling for partially available resource? RRS feed

• Question

• I am creating a project for I will be dedicating 10 hour per week.  In project 2013 Preview I create tasks with hours, and I am trying to configure the project so that it will schedule the work automatically.  Whatever I try, it continues to schedule 8 hours per day.  In PROJECT | Change Working | Options I changed the default start/end time to 8 AM and 10 PM.  Didn't help.  I change hours per day to 2 , and hours per week to 10.  Nothing.  I created a resource for myself and limited Max Units it to 25%, and assigned the tasks to this resource.  Project still schedules 8 hours per day, except now it warns me that the resource is over-allocated and related fields are showing in red...  Help!
    Saturday, October 13, 2012 1:29 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You tried everything except the one thing that you need :-)

What you need is Project | Change Working Time | Work Weeks | Details.

Then for every working day in the week set two working hours f.i. 9-11

The fact that you already set the options right (2/d and 10/w) comes in handy, that is necesary as well

Now you can have 100% amx units, Prject will schedule 2 h/d

Greetings,

Saturday, October 13, 2012 6:21 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You tried everything except the one thing that you need :-)

What you need is Project | Change Working Time | Work Weeks | Details.

Then for every working day in the week set two working hours f.i. 9-11

The fact that you already set the options right (2/d and 10/w) comes in handy, that is necesary as well

Now you can have 100% amx units, Prject will schedule 2 h/d

Greetings,

Saturday, October 13, 2012 6:21 PM
  • Thanks!  How crazy is that? :)
    Saturday, October 13, 2012 8:25 PM
  • I am curious, btw, how would you do it with more than one partial resources?  25% of Jane's time and 40% of Jim's time are allocated to the project, and you want the timeline to be calculated automatically based on who you assign a task to?
    Saturday, October 13, 2012 9:24 PM
  • Hi,

In that case leave the Project calendar as is, but create resource calendars (they can be selected from  Change Working Time window): Jane 2h/day and Jim 3,2 hrs/day; their work will then be planned as per their working time.

Greetings,

Sunday, October 14, 2012 6:59 PM
  • Thanks.  The "new calendar" button is grayed out in 2013 PV, maybe it is because it is still in beta?
    Monday, October 15, 2012 4:53 PM
  • Hi,

If you create Jane and Jim as resource, Project automatically creates a calendar for each; you can simply select them in Change Working Time. As for the new calendars, I don't know. You are not is a project server environment are you?

Greetings,

Monday, October 15, 2012 5:47 PM