none
Device Collection for TS deployment RRS feed

• Question

• Here is my challenge:
    I deployed a task sequence to a newly created device collection, but a computer in that collection does not see that task sequence.
    I can only access that task sequence if it is deployed to unknown computers.

All the computers in my environment does not have SCCM clients installed.
    All the computers are already in AD and have been discovered in SCCM.
    I was able to create a device collection containing these computers.
    I deployed the task sequence to that newly created device collection but cannot access it.

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 3:40 PM

Answers

• To ConfigMgr these devices are still unknown, even though they are already discovered via the Active Directory. For ConfigMgr to be able to respond to these devices, as known devices, there either needs to be an agent on them, or a MAC address/SMSBIOS GUID should be known.

My Blog: http://www.petervanderwoude.nl/
    Follow me on twitter: pvanderwoude

• Marked as answer by Annabelle Lee Wednesday, April 16, 2014 4:16 PM
    Wednesday, April 16, 2014 4:13 PM

All replies

• What did you set availability to during deployment.

It should be set to config. manager clients only or more.
    Of course these computers need to have sccm client installed, otherwise there is no other way of doing it but PXE boot or boot media, since that device would be unknown to SCCM hence deployment to All Unknown Devices collection.

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 3:47 PM
  • The task sequence is set to Available.
    And it is available through "Only Media and PXE"

This is because my method of deployment is hitting F12 at the computer.
    However, once the computer PXE, it can only see the task sequence if it is deployed to an Unknown Computers.

Should that computer see the task sequence if it was deployed to the device collection that contains that computer?

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 3:51 PM

• Should that computer see the task sequence if it was deployed to the device collection that contains that computer?

No.

In order to see task sequence when logged into Windows on that device (in Software Center) you need to:

1. Have sccm client installed on that OS/device.
    2. Deployment needs to be targeted to a collection where that device belongs and deployment availability needs to contain Configuration Manager clients.

Other option is to deploy it to all unknown computers like you did, and make it available to media and pxe, just like you did it. In this case only computers that do not have their records in SCCM (unknown computers) will see that deployment.

I might be missing your point though. What are you trying to achieve?

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 4:05 PM
  • To ConfigMgr these devices are still unknown, even though they are already discovered via the Active Directory. For ConfigMgr to be able to respond to these devices, as known devices, there either needs to be an agent on them, or a MAC address/SMSBIOS GUID should be known.

My Blog: http://www.petervanderwoude.nl/
    Follow me on twitter: pvanderwoude

• Marked as answer by Annabelle Lee Wednesday, April 16, 2014 4:16 PM
    Wednesday, April 16, 2014 4:13 PM
  • Thanks very much for your response.

I thought that as long as they are discovered in SCCM, then that means they are known.  However, I was wrong.

My challenge is that the existing computers are already named properly.  So now when I deploy an OS to these computers, I was hoping that SCCM will migrate the computer name.  However when the OS is deployed to Unknown Computers, these computers were named to MININT-xxxxx.

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 4:24 PM
  • Nope, discovering does not make it known.

You can assign names to these computers before task sequence starts. You just need to assign OSDComputerName variable on Unknown Computers collection and it will prompt you for PC name once you boot it up. Just right click on that collection, go to Collection Variables tab and set new one with OSDComputerName name and blank value.

For more advanced, automated naming mechanisms, you can use MDT and SCCM integration, which is a completely another story.

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 4:32 PM
  • I am currently using the variable OSDComputerName for naming.

If my understanding is correct, I only need to manually name the computer the first time imaging.  Then subsequent time, I can deploy to these computers as a known computer and then the name will be migrated?

With integration with MDT and SCCM, can it migrate the existing computer name? 
    And can it detects that it is a brand new machine out of the box and then prompts the user?

I have previously used MDT integration to automatically name computer based on their IP gateway and serial number.  However in this case, the computer naming are numbered sequentially. 
    But because they are already named properly, I want to be lazy and not have to type in their computer name manually.

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 4:43 PM