Unresolved Users preventing Local Security Group from being deleted: "The specified account name is not a member of the group." RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I have a problem on my Windows 7 Professional machines restored from an Acronis 11.5 backup where I have a local Security Group "myGROUP" lists several members as unresolved SIDs: S-1-5-21-aaaaaaaaaaaa-bbbbbbbbb-ccccccc-1234. I need to delete "myGROUP" but when I try to I get the error "The specified account name is not a member of the group."

It appears to be associated with the unresolved user, because I then proceed to remove the SID and hit apply to which I get the same error as before.

I've tried using CMD and Powershell to delete with no success. I've tried deleting the Unknown User profiles. I've looked in the registry to see if I can find the user profiles in the HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\ but they are not listed.

I did however notice that the SID listed in the membership of "myGROUP" was similar to one listed in the ProfileList as the start and end were the same but the middle strings were different:

Unresolved SID: S-1-5-21-aaaaaaaaaaaa-bbbbbbbbb-ccccccc-1234

ProfileList SID: S-1-5-21-dddddddddd-eeeeeeee-fffffff-1234

Could the Acronis restore have changed the SID of my user thus corrupting the local group? Is there any way to fix this?

Thursday, July 7, 2016 3:40 PM

Answers

• So far the only solution we have been able to come up with was a complete wipe and reload of the Operating System.
    • Marked as answer by Joe Catanese Wednesday, August 10, 2016 1:01 PM
    Wednesday, August 10, 2016 1:01 PM

All replies

• Hi,

When you go on manage computer -> user and group -> group

Could you see the group ?

If they are not listed, it means that when you save your PC, users was already deleted :s

Thursday, July 7, 2016 4:37 PM
  • Yes, the groups in question are there.
    Thursday, July 7, 2016 4:47 PM
  • Hi Joe Catanese,

According to your description, if the same error message occurred when you have tried using the cmd command.

net users

(to see a list of all existing accounts)

net user  "xxxx"  /delete

(to delete account xxxx)

I suspect that your security database or profile appears to be corrupted. Check which group the account belongs to.

Hope it will be helpful to you

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, July 8, 2016 9:38 AM

• I suspect that your security database or profile appears to be corrupted. Check which group the account belongs to.

Can you elaborate on this? Yes we firmly believe the root cause is with the Users. The accounts have multiple Windows Security Groups which they have membership to, however we cannot remove any of the memberships or delete the Windows User Account or Windows Security Groups as we received the "The specified account name is not a member of the group."
    Monday, July 11, 2016 2:58 PM
  • Hi Joe Catanese,

Based on my search, I find this KB for XP “The specified account name is not a member of the local group" error. It may be caused by the GPO. I suggest that we could keep updating and check the GPO as the KB said.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/835744

Then please refer to the link below about Not able to delete a user account.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/305090-not-able-delete-user-account.html

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Hope it will be helpful to you

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, July 27, 2016 9:08 AM
  • Hello Carl,

We do not have any GPOs referencing the users furthermore the Hot Fixes available are for Windows XP not Windows 7 Professional x64.

As far as I can tell, the second link you left me is still unresolved.

Wednesday, August 10, 2016 12:59 PM
  • So far the only solution we have been able to come up with was a complete wipe and reload of the Operating System.
    • Marked as answer by Joe Catanese Wednesday, August 10, 2016 1:01 PM
    Wednesday, August 10, 2016 1:01 PM