Newbie needs help - Do I need to reconfigure the exchange if we move the web site hosting? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi folks, thanks for reading.

I don't know a great deal about microsoft exchange but I am going to try and explain the setup and what we are trying to achieve.

We have an ISP that is set up as a smarthost.  We have a server in-house that is running SBS-2008 and microsoft exchange.

We have our internet web page hosted separately on the web.

A developer is taking over the web site and is moving the hosting to a new server (that he has control over) and will be changing IPS-TAGS and so forth to assume responsibility for it.  Since the domain name will remain the same, I am at a loss to determine what impact this will have on the exchange server configuration.

I inherited the role of server admin and I did not set it up in the first place and so...

a) I know nothing about the existing routing for email except that it comes from a FQDN smarthost.

b) I wouldn't know where to look in the configuration to change anything.

Personally, I think that if the email is coming from a smarthost then the hosting of the web site really shouldn't necessitate any changes on the MX server - or am I completely and totally wrong?

Any advice much appreciated.

David

Monday, February 13, 2012 8:29 PM

Answers

• You are safe.

This is how it works.

For your email the most important thing is the MX Records. If you do nslookup you canb find it or use a web based tool to look for the MX record for your domain and it will popup with your ISP IP address as your MX records. And from your ISP your email going inside and outside the organization.

So as long has he does not changes the MX records nor any changes to the internet connection it has got nothing to do with the website.

you can test the mx records on the command line

c:\> NSLookup - hit enter

then type

set q=mx  hit enter

then type your domain name hit enter

Where Technology Meets Talent

• Proposed as answer by Terence Yu Tuesday, February 14, 2012 5:43 AM
    • Marked as answer by Terence Yu Friday, February 24, 2012 8:01 AM
    Monday, February 13, 2012 9:28 PM
  • Personally, I think that if the email is coming from a smarthost then the hosting of the web site really shouldn't necessitate any changes on the MX server - or am I completely and totally wrong?

What is the name of the Smart Host?

Do you mean something like Postini or MXLogic?

At any rate, you need to find out where the MX records are pointing.

Try this at a command prompt:

nslookup

then...

set type=mx

then...

yourdomain.com

(or .org, or .whatever)

See where these records point.

If the web hoster is going to host your DNS records, make sure that they keep the MX records pointing to the correct destination.

If yourdomain.com is going to point to the web hoster's servers, make sure he has MX records pointing to your smart host.

This is assuming (safe bet or not) that your email is set up something like this:

domain name = yourdomain.com

domain name used for email (OWA, etc.) is something like: mail.yourdomain.com

###########################

David,

I see Viminstrator responded just before I did and used a different syntax for the nslookup commands

set type=mx

and 

set query=mx

and

set q=mx

are all equivalent

• Edited by David M (LePivert) Monday, February 13, 2012 9:45 PM
    Monday, February 13, 2012 9:38 PM

All replies

• You are safe.

This is how it works.

For your email the most important thing is the MX Records. If you do nslookup you canb find it or use a web based tool to look for the MX record for your domain and it will popup with your ISP IP address as your MX records. And from your ISP your email going inside and outside the organization.

So as long has he does not changes the MX records nor any changes to the internet connection it has got nothing to do with the website.

you can test the mx records on the command line

c:\> NSLookup - hit enter

then type

set q=mx  hit enter

then type your domain name hit enter

Where Technology Meets Talent

Monday, February 13, 2012 9:28 PM
  • Personally, I think that if the email is coming from a smarthost then the hosting of the web site really shouldn't necessitate any changes on the MX server - or am I completely and totally wrong?

What is the name of the Smart Host?

Do you mean something like Postini or MXLogic?

At any rate, you need to find out where the MX records are pointing.

Try this at a command prompt:

nslookup

then...

set type=mx

then...

yourdomain.com

(or .org, or .whatever)

See where these records point.

If the web hoster is going to host your DNS records, make sure that they keep the MX records pointing to the correct destination.

If yourdomain.com is going to point to the web hoster's servers, make sure he has MX records pointing to your smart host.

This is assuming (safe bet or not) that your email is set up something like this:

domain name = yourdomain.com

domain name used for email (OWA, etc.) is something like: mail.yourdomain.com

###########################

David,

I see Viminstrator responded just before I did and used a different syntax for the nslookup commands

set type=mx

and 

set query=mx

and

set q=mx

are all equivalent

• Edited by David M (LePivert) Monday, February 13, 2012 9:45 PM
    Monday, February 13, 2012 9:38 PM
  • Did the above answer your question or not?
    Tuesday, February 21, 2012 12:38 AM