UAG Remote Desktop publishing RRS feed

• Question

• I"m trying to publish remote desktop ability over UAG.  I'm using the guide found here:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee441340.aspx

The second part for "Publishing a user defined Desktop Connection"  Instruction number 5 tells you that on the "server settings" page of the wizard in the "RD Session Hosts" section to add the RD Session Hosts you want access to.  This can be a range of IP addresses. 

This set of instructions never said what to put in the first field on that page of the wizard "RD Session Host" so I was going to leave it blank.  The wizard however will not allow that to be left blank.

What this seems to result in, is that instead of the user being able to choose a session host when the use the applicaiton it tries to connect them to the IP defined in the field that I could not leave blank.

Also, from reading I think that my remote client must be running RDC 7.0, but I can not find information regarding the Local session hosts, must they also be running 7.0? or can they be running an earlier release?

All that said, what I'm trying to do is allow an external user the ability to connect through our UAG portal, click on remote desktop, and then be able to enter an IP adress or FQDN of either a local server (Win 2K3/Win 2K8) or workstation (Win XP SP2) and control that particular host.  Is this possible in UAG RC0, and if so, is there a better way to accomplish this than using the "Remote Desktop" App listed under "Terminal Services (TS)/Remote Desktop Services (RDS" ???

Thanks for any help!
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 7:21 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Currently this mode in UAG supports only Windows 7 client even if there is a support for RDP 7.0. This will be fixed in the near future(post RTM). Meanwhile, you can use the tunneling mode that is working with every OS.

As for the field you mentioned (RD Session Host), it is automatically filled based on the settings file you import (TSPUB file). If not, it should be filled manually.

The flow that you describe in your last paragraph is exactly what "Remote Desktop - user selected" mode is.

Thanks,
            Meir :->
    Meir Mendelovich, Sr. Program Manager, Microsoft Forefront - IAG/UAG Product Group
    Team Blog: http://blogs.technet.com/edgeaccessblog/
    Anything you can do, I can do anywhere!
    • Marked as answer by Erez Benari Monday, December 28, 2009 5:38 PM
    Sunday, December 27, 2009 7:32 AM

All replies

• Also, from reading I think that my remote client must be running RDC 7.0, but I can not find information regarding the Local session hosts, must they also be running 7.0? or can they be running an earlier release?

Hey there,
    I am currently hosting a RD connection through UAG RC0 to a Windows XP 64 bit machine, i think that this host has RDC 6.1 and it works fine.  Only the client connecting to the UAG RD session needs to be RDC 7.0.  Also the update for Windows XP to RDC 7.0 does not allow you to connect, its missing something that would allow it to connect.
    Regards,
    Jonathon.
    Sunday, December 20, 2009 9:00 PM
  • Hi,

Currently this mode in UAG supports only Windows 7 client even if there is a support for RDP 7.0. This will be fixed in the near future(post RTM). Meanwhile, you can use the tunneling mode that is working with every OS.

As for the field you mentioned (RD Session Host), it is automatically filled based on the settings file you import (TSPUB file). If not, it should be filled manually.

The flow that you describe in your last paragraph is exactly what "Remote Desktop - user selected" mode is.

Thanks,
            Meir :->
    Meir Mendelovich, Sr. Program Manager, Microsoft Forefront - IAG/UAG Product Group
    Team Blog: http://blogs.technet.com/edgeaccessblog/
    Anything you can do, I can do anywhere!
    • Marked as answer by Erez Benari Monday, December 28, 2009 5:38 PM
    Sunday, December 27, 2009 7:32 AM