none
supported Tape Libraries for DPM 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I searched for supported Hardware and I can´t find anything. Dell even told me that they only support 2007DPM, so I´m wonderiung whcih Hardware I should use with DPM.

In the threads I found, nothing is supported with DPM 2012, can somebody tell me where I can find a list of supported Hardware? Thank you.

gruss Daniel Ovadia MBSS - Microsoft Dynamics CRM MCNPS

Friday, June 22, 2012 9:12 AM

Answers

• Hi Daniel,

We do not have a tape library certification process, and as noted, if the library is listed in the Windows catalog for Windows 2008 x64, then DPM should be able to use it without issues.

For the DELL TL2000 slot issue - Try adding the following registry key on the DPM server containing the tape library:

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\Agent
       RSMCompatMode:REG_DWORD:0x8

Note The RSMCompatMode registry value is used to specify multiple flags for DPM. The following are the flags that are set by this registry value:

•1 = RSM_COMPAT_INIT_ELEMENT_STATUS
    •4 = RSM_COMPAT_IGNORE_TAPE_INVENTORY_RESULT
    •8 = RSM_COMPAT_CLEANER_EXCEPTION

If 8 does not help try 0xD (13 decimal) and let us know the results.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Saturday, June 23, 2012 8:16 PM

All replies

• Hi Daniel,

If your Tape librairie is compatible with the Windows Server OS it should work with DPM 2010/DPM2012.

You can verify Windows compatibility in the Windows Server catalog: http://www.windowsservercatalog.com/default.aspx

Edit: list of tested hardware http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/systemcenter/cc678583.aspx

Stephane

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties. knowledge is valid only if it is shared by All.

Friday, June 22, 2012 9:23 AM
  • Hi Stephane,

thanks for ure reply.

I search for really supported/certified Hardware for DPM 2012.

We can´t try Hardware that should be compatible, we need Hardware that is definetly supported or certified.

We have now DPM 2010 with a DELL TL200 and many Problems, missing slots...

So for that Hardware it is also compatible, but does not work correctly.

So the future Hardware we want certified and don´t find any documents about.

Thank you

gruss Daniel Ovadia MBSS - Microsoft Dynamics CRM MCNPS

Friday, June 22, 2012 9:31 AM
  • Hi Daniel,

We do not have a tape library certification process, and as noted, if the library is listed in the Windows catalog for Windows 2008 x64, then DPM should be able to use it without issues.

For the DELL TL2000 slot issue - Try adding the following registry key on the DPM server containing the tape library:

Note The RSMCompatMode registry value is used to specify multiple flags for DPM. The following are the flags that are set by this registry value:

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Saturday, June 23, 2012 8:16 PM
  • Hi Daniel,

Hi,

Do you need to stop and start any DPM services after adding this reg key? Do you need to reboot the DPM server?

I also have a Dell TL2000 (it's really an IBM StorageLibrary 3753) and the fact that no version of DPM has ever handled cleaning tapes properly for any tape changer is very frustrating.  All other tape backup software that is enterprise grade allows for the library to use it's "Auto Clean" feature so this type of problem does not exist.

Thanks for help and answers in the DPM forums.

Sincerely,

Mike Wood

Sunday, April 21, 2013 4:29 AM
  • Here's a list of certified tape libraries for System Center 2012, of which DPM is a part.

"Applies To: System Center 2012 - Data Protection Manager, System Center 2012 R2 Data Protection Manager, System Center 2012 SP1 - Data Protection Manager"

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh916523.aspx

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 10:04 PM