Missing Windows Classic color scheme... RRS feed

• Question

• Currently using Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1. 

I am trying to change my display preferences to the Windows Classic Color Scheme via Personalize|Windows Color and Appearance|Open classic appearance properties for more color options, but all I see for available Color Schemes are Windows Aero and Windows Vista Basic

When I go to c:/windows/resources/themes, I see among others, both Windows Classic.theme as well as Windows Classic(old).theme. If I click on either of these and try to apply them, I get the message, "The visual styles could not be applied. The system cannot find the file specified." 

What is the missing file(s), and can I download them from somewhere? I know just enough to be dangerous, so please be specific in your instructions.

Thanks in advance,  Jim In SC

Sunday, March 29, 2009 8:21 PM

Answers

• Hi JimInSc, thanks for the post. Based on the symptom, this issue can be caused by corrupted or missing system files. I suggest you first perform the following steps to troubleshoot it:

Use the System File Checker (SFC) to scan system files

=====================================================

The System File Checker tool enable an administrator to scan all protected files to verify their versions. To do so, follow these steps:

1. Click "Start", type "CMD" (without quotation marks) in the "Start Search" box. Right click on the "CMD.exe" file, choose "Run as Administrator"

2. Copy and paste "SFC /Scannow" (without quotation marks) in the "Open" box, and click "OK".

Note: There is a SPACE between "SFC" and "/Scannow", this command will take several minutes to complete and may require access to the Windows installation source files.

You can also refer to the following link for detailed information:

Using System File Checker (SFC) To Fix Issues

http://blogs.technet.com/askcore/archive/2007/12/18/using-system-file-checker-sfc-to-fix-issues.aspx

Hope this helps!
    Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 6:51 AM