none
2016 DHCP server - best scope/exclusions/reservations practices RRS feed

• Question

• For a particular subnet, is the "preferred" setup to set the scope to cover the entire subnet then set the exclusion range inside the scope and put reservations there?  Or set the scope to the IP range I want to dynamically assign and have my reservations in the non-scoped range?  Both will work, correct?

If I have a scope that covers the whole subnet with dynamic addresses already assigned, what is the best way to add an exclusion range?  Do I figure out what's not assigned and use those IPs for my exclusions?  What if I want a particular range and there are already leases in that range?

And am I right in thinking that the DHCP server will let me create a reservation inside the dynamic IP pool (not convert a dynamic IP to reserved but create a new reservation)?  This seems like a bad practice.

Thanks in advance.

Friday, November 9, 2018 8:12 PM

All replies

• Hi,

• Both methods are feasible.
    • The exclusion range can only be done when creating a new scope.
    • You can end the lease by running ipconfig/release on the client.
    • If you do not exclude the reserved address from the scope, it may cause an address conflict.

Best regards,

Travis

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Sunday, November 11, 2018 12:27 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful.

Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Travis

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, November 14, 2018 7:35 AM