An App Default Was Reset

Question

• After some windows updates today, I have this really annoying issue. 

I set my browser default to IE11, and for some reason after the recent windows updates(KB3135173 or KB31224262), I continuously get notifications stating that "An app default was reset - An app caused a problem with the default app setting for .html files, so it was reset to Microsoft Edge." 

The notification is so frequent that I have disabled all windows notifications in order to work sanely. I am hoping this is a bug that will be remedied soon.

Have tried the following. 

- updated to the latest windows updates

- restarting the computer.

- deleting Microsoft Edge from my app data folder and redeployed the package in powershell

- creating a .html and setting the default file association to IE11

Wednesday, February 10, 2016 8:25 PM

Answers

All replies

• A few things could be tried:

Run troubleshooter

================

Using DISM Command:

I) Press Windows + x on your keyboard.

ii) Select Command prompt (Admin) to open Administrator Command Prompt .

iii) In the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type the following commands. Press the Enter key after each command:
         dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth
         dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

====================

Create a New User Account and recheck the issue.

S.Sengupta, Windows Experience MVP

Thursday, February 11, 2016 1:13 AM
  • i'm having the same problem with my image program of choice, irfanview.  EVERYTIME i tell irfanview to retake the default for jpg, png, etc, the OS annoyingly claws them back with repeated "an app caused a problem"...  i did NOT have this problem before today's updates to the OS.

please fix this...  thank you.

Thursday, February 11, 2016 3:22 AM
  • Same problem with Irfanview here.

Thanks

Thursday, February 11, 2016 11:24 AM
  • I'm having precisely the same problem with Irfanview as well. I didn't have the problem before today's updates, either.
    Thursday, February 11, 2016 12:56 PM
  • I have the same problem with Acdsee on Windows 10 when it updated today.

After rolling back KB3135173 update, the issue was resolved. I guess that update is a bit buggy. Waiting for Microsoft to patch it.

Thursday, February 11, 2016 1:54 PM
  • I'm am having the same notification every time a run winzip using the right click context menu.  I am having notifications from 9 default errors.
    Thursday, February 11, 2016 3:47 PM
  • I have the same problem after 9 February 2016 updates. MOV and MP4 files which was set to Daum Potplayer-64 Bits was reset to Film and TV.
    Thursday, February 11, 2016 9:00 PM
  • What (if any) third party security programs are people on this thread using?
    Thursday, February 11, 2016 9:19 PM
  • Hello,

If you are encountering this can we run msinfo32.exe and save the output as an NFO file.

Then make that NFO file available for download, we can check some configurations to see to see if we can see a pattern.

Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, February 11, 2016 9:46 PM
  • Same problem here too; all movie extensions (MP4, AVI, MOV, etc...) are reset to the Windows 10 movie player because an app "caused a problem".

The ironic thing is that the Win10 Movie player fails to open my MP4 files,
    while the public domain Windows Media Player Classic, what I'm using, still works perfectly.

• Edited by bladibla3 Thursday, February 11, 2016 9:54 PM
    Thursday, February 11, 2016 9:53 PM
  • The pattern is that the update resets ALL custom defaults...this is happening to a ton of people.  Again this happens to any custom associations that were set and that Windows thinks there is a better association for such as it's own proprietary software.

Some examples are associations for htm,html,jpg,txt,etc... really anything Windows has software for.

• Edited by Jefro5 Thursday, February 11, 2016 10:44 PM
    Thursday, February 11, 2016 10:42 PM
  • This was extremely annoying this morning, having to delete hundreds of notifications.  Then I saved a web page as a ".html" file on my desktop and my computer became totally useless, generating probably a thousand notifications, constantly refreshing my desktop; each refresh generated another hundred notifications.  It took about five minutes to be able to delete that ".html" file from my desktop and now I can at least use my computer again.

I fired up my ancient Win7 netbook and was going to have to search for how to restart Win10 in some kind of Safe mode.  This is more than annoying.

Walt

Thursday, February 11, 2016 11:36 PM
  • Can folks here state if they are using any third party security software/antivirus?  This isn't normal or expected.
    Friday, February 12, 2016 12:16 AM
  • I'm using MS Security Essentials.  My PC is an HP desktop unit I bought through the MS Signature series via the online store, so it's never had any non-MS security/antivirus software installed.  I use Irfanview and associate it with graphic file extensions like JPG and PNG.  I use Chrome for a browser.

I also did a Java update today and can't remember if it was before or after this problem.  Thanks for looking into this.

Walt

Friday, February 12, 2016 12:53 AM
  • Me too, palie. Did this week's updates tonight, and I got warnings some application (do not know which one because it would not tell me) was set to default. M$ is really pushing people for their products when they refused to even listen to some logic. I also use Irfanview but that seems to be working. I got no security but M$E right now because W10 hates my ZoneAlarm and keeps crashing with store_exceptions (M$ reason for me to use their bloated stock or they will destroy my drive). I have no idea yet was changed, or even if something is working, one of its settings changed elsewhere.

Christian. Italian. Warrior. BS-GSP major. Gamer. Borg... I am that hero!

La resistenza è, ed è stato sempre, inutile.

Christianity is a lifestyle, not a “religion", with Jesus the Christ, Lord & Savior. Nothing has disproved any Biblical facts. In fact, science & archeology have done nothing but proved it all instead. Therefore, pizza party with the Man & I bring the colas!

POSTING COMMENT * I may reply back in hours to months (unless improperly locked on me) due to duty schedule. I reply as fast as I can to anything still open I am involved in. Thank you.

Friday, February 12, 2016 1:23 AM
  • Me too on Irfanview I imagine although the app caused problem resetting message came from Windows.

I've not had time to look into this but I would guess that downloading and running the latest "Plug-ins" for Irfanview -- preferably from their web server rather than third party ones with PUPs in many cases -- would enable you to reset what you open with to the Irfanview plug ins as is asked when you first set up Irfanview and Plug-Ins

Hugh

Friday, February 12, 2016 2:47 AM
  • Norton Security Premium (=Norton Security with Backup 10 Devices)

No it isn't Norton's fault ......

Hugh

Friday, February 12, 2016 2:49 AM
  • I as able to remove groove and tv and movies to alleviate the problem of some messages but cannot fix html complaints with edge on one computer... on the other updating adobe got rid of messages with edge.

what a piece of crap update!!! come on Microsoft .. quality.. especially if you are going to release rollups every two weeks.

Friday, February 12, 2016 3:27 AM
  • In my case, Microsoft Edge kept becoming the default for PDFs.

I resolved the problem for myself by using the Search bar to open "Choose a default app for each type of file", scrolling down to PDF, clicking Microsoft Edge and selecting SumatraPDF. It didn't immediately switch back, and double-clicking a PDF opened the correct program.

Hope this works for others!

Friday, February 12, 2016 9:50 AM
  • In my case, Microsoft Edge kept becoming the default for PDFs.

I resolved the problem for myself by using the Search bar to open "Choose a default app for each type of file", scrolling down to PDF, clicking Microsoft Edge and selecting SumatraPDF. It didn't immediately switch back, and double-clicking a PDF opened the correct program.

Hope this works for others!

Don't hold your breath. I've been changing the PDF default for weeks and Edge continually takes it back over.

That said, this morning (after patching) is the first time I've seen the "an app default was reset" notification. I'm not using any 3rd party security software.

With respect to the MSINFO32 file...is there anywhere we can upload it to Microsoft directly? I realize there's not MUCH personal info in there but I'd still prefer not to just post it publicly.

Thanks,

James

Friday, February 12, 2016 2:37 PM
  • I encountered the same problem today. After the last update, I *continuously* get notifications stating that "An app default was reset", "An app caused a problem with the default app setting for .pdf files, so it was reset to Microsoft Edge." , also the same message about .html files.

I rolled back KB3135173 and it went away. This is a really bad problem -- I have no idea how this got released. Many users will perceive this as a show-stopping virus making their system unusable.

The update needs to be immediately pulled or an Escalation Engineer needs to immediately post an article describing the boundary conditions and how to avoid it.

Windows 10 Home Edition, Ver 1511

OS build 10586.71

64-bit, RAM installed: 16GB, PU=i7-875K, 4Ghz

Motherboard: EVGA P55 FTW

Friday, February 12, 2016 3:29 PM
  • I have this issue too.

There's a post about it here - http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/an-app-default-was-reset/7f51d3de-8e67-478f-9a10-fcd4873ce3af?auth=1 worth giving it an upvote!

It mentions update KB3135173 as a possible cause. I've uninstalled this update to see if it fixes the problem.

Friday, February 12, 2016 3:33 PM
  • Can you tell me what third party software you are running?  I'm not seeing this widespread.
    Friday, February 12, 2016 4:49 PM
  • I'm having this problem, as of today, with WinZip.  Specifically I'm trying to open a downloaded ZIP file. In my case I was using Firefox to do the download. Have not had time to explore other options/browsers. This is a stand part of my workflow for very common tasks for me. The only thing that changed was the update yesterday.

This sure is looking like a problems with the latest updates.

(Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, just getting all the regular updates.)

Friday, February 12, 2016 5:20 PM
  • I have the same problem with WinZip as of yesterday.
    Friday, February 12, 2016 6:54 PM
  • So no other third party antivirus software? Any other unusual third party software installed?
    Friday, February 12, 2016 6:59 PM
  • Hello,

Can we collect some Msinfo32 file output so we can compare what software is running to see if we any consistency?

Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, February 12, 2016 9:06 PM
  • What the heck is this issue? I am preparing some computers for deployment and I get this on all of them. And now I see it on my laptop too.

What is going on? This is very very annoying.

Andrei V.

Friday, February 12, 2016 10:18 PM
  • I resolved the issue by restoring the computer.

Hope it's gonna work for u

Friday, February 12, 2016 11:01 PM

Friday, February 12, 2016 11:02 PM

Friday, February 12, 2016 11:02 PM
  • I don't think you did. As soon as it installs the latest updates, you will get the notification again.

Andrei V.

Friday, February 12, 2016 11:10 PM
  • Two previous attempts to post went nowhere.......... Disappeared.  I've generated a 2.7Mb NFO file.  Do I email to someone?  Try the Wiki?
    Friday, February 12, 2016 11:56 PM
  • To those of you on this email can you email me at susan-at-msmvps.com (change the -at- to @) I will need your phone number to set up support cases.
    Saturday, February 13, 2016 12:34 AM
  • Email sent.  Thanks.

Walt

Saturday, February 13, 2016 4:50 AM
  • I'm having the same very annoying problem except with a ton of applications.  .jpg .pdf .html .png and maybe a half dozen more.  It just keeps popping up and interrupting all kinds of stuff!
    Saturday, February 13, 2016 5:17 AM
  • I opened a case for Walt,  The case number is 116021313704293.  I'm not sure that MS support will call him back over the weekend but his .nfo file is attached to the case.
    Saturday, February 13, 2016 6:39 AM
  • And we are back again. Windows keeps changing my file associations out of the blue. Good job!!!

Andrei V.

Saturday, February 13, 2016 5:45 PM
  • I have the exact same issue with .MP4 files being constantly reset to Movies & TV app.
    Saturday, February 13, 2016 7:32 PM
  • Worked for me. Restored to the date before the last update. Thanks
    • Edited by BillGTO Saturday, February 13, 2016 8:18 PM
    Saturday, February 13, 2016 8:14 PM
  • I have the same problem immediately after upgrading from Win7 to Win10. In my case it can be triggered by putting an .html or .htm file on the desktop or any open folder, and it the flurry of events will eventually cease if the file is renamed .txt or the like.

The message is identical to the one quoted above.

This technique of never looking at an .htm or .html file works better than any other, but occasionally other actions will trigger a series of warnings, just not the never-ending stream of more than 1 per second that the web files will.  These actions usually have some connection to web files (like opening Firefox, which might be a clue).

I offer this as troubleshooting info.  Someone who has the same problem with another file type might want to troubleshoot along similar lines.

-DP

Saturday, February 13, 2016 8:22 PM
  • Same issue with .html files. I removed every browser but IE11 and it still happens. This makes my desktop so annoying it's unusable.
    Sunday, February 14, 2016 7:55 AM
  • Same problem (Win 10 reassigns file associations) here.  The difference was, it was just doing that routinely, but now it announces the fact it has reassigned the associations with those Win10 notifications at the bottom right of the screen.  I'm getting tired of setting the defaults the way I want and then losing all of those settings.
    Sunday, February 14, 2016 9:28 AM
  • I am having the problem using winzip.  I had just finished the latest updates and also updated Java.  It was right after that this started.  I am using Charter antivirus.  
    Sunday, February 14, 2016 10:18 AM
  • Sunday, February 14, 2016 1:59 PM
  • I have a fresh install (as in, today) and I have no antivirus (including MS's) and all I have installed so far is Firefox and Winamp and MPC-HC.

Oddly, so far, Firefox is still default (maybe it's because i set it via the interface, rather than a registry change like an installer) but audio reset to Groove, Photo Viewer reset to nothing (!) and Video Player to nothing. I'm sure it displays nothing because it's partly associated.

Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason, like people here that triggered it by putting an HTML file on the desktop, I'm just watching YouTube and it complains someone took over some extensions. Not all mind you, just MKV and I believe MP4. Then it took a batch of audio, but not all. Then, later, another video.

I can't even restore because only registered official apps may be listed and Store Apps may be added. You can't just Browse for a default app.

I'd show you which extensions got restored, but it seems my Notification Center won't pop up.

Fresh ***** install. :(

Sunday, February 14, 2016 6:38 PM
  • I have the 'An app default was reset ... for .htm files, so it was reset to MS Edge'. This happens every time I use Winzip 16.5 pro, on either my PC or laptop, which both have Kaspersky 2014. This has only happened since the last batch of Windows updates.
    Monday, February 15, 2016 10:57 AM
  • I have the same problem with .htm files and pdf files.

PDF files have been going on for a few months and it is annoying. 

I have Symantec Endpoint Protection v12.1.6.

Just happened again to htm files, I may just remove MS Edge.

• Edited by KWitt_TEI Monday, February 15, 2016 2:56 PM
    Monday, February 15, 2016 2:38 PM
  • I need your help. Email me at susan-at-msmvps.com (change the -at- to @) and I'll ask you for a phone number so we can set up a support case with Microsoft to get this properly investigated.
    • Proposed as answer by Randy Barth Monday, February 15, 2016 8:13 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Randy Barth Monday, February 15, 2016 8:13 PM
    Monday, February 15, 2016 4:54 PM
  • I just set up case number 116021513708626 for D.T. impacted by this issue.
    Monday, February 15, 2016 5:06 PM
  • Case number 116021513708664 for S.H.
    Monday, February 15, 2016 5:15 PM
  • Case number 116021513708923 for J.H
    Monday, February 15, 2016 6:21 PM
  • Case 116021513709071 for R.S.
    Monday, February 15, 2016 7:12 PM
  • I was not only getting constant notifications, but also Windows explorer would constantly refresh if the folder contained a PDF.

Based on https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/fc9014f0-3763-4674-b78b-72fc13c5de79/icons-flashing-after-windows-10-1511-update?forum=win10itprogeneral I renamed HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.htm to \.xxxhtm and similarly for html, pdf, svg, and xml.  (The article suggested deleting these but I wanted to do something I could reverse.) Only then was I able to go into settings and change it away from Edge to, in my case, Dreamweaver and Adobe Reader.  Then I rebooted and turned notifications back on and all seemed to be fine.

It's a workaround at best and I'll look forward to a permanent fix later.

Monday, February 15, 2016 8:19 PM
  • I have the same problem with .htm files and pdf files.

PDF files have been going on for a few months and it is annoying. 

I have Symantec Endpoint Protection v12.1.6.

Just happened again to htm files, I may just remove MS Edge.

Now all of a sudden, I get 40-50 notifications for PDF, HTM, AVI, etc. come up one after another!!!! WTF Microsoft???
    Monday, February 15, 2016 8:52 PM
  • Case 116021313704293

Two hours on the phone with Microsoft.  Let technician take over my screen so he could watch what happens when a text file with extension ".txt" is renamed to an extension of ".html" and hundreds of notifications are generated in an endless loop until you delete that file.

The fix was to uninstall KB3135173.  No idea of what is causing this problem.  

Now I'm wondering if I can prevent the automatic update from installing itself again.  I set something in Settings so it will notify me before rebooting, but I have to reboot sometime.  The problem started when the computer rebooted itself from a Sleep mode one night.

Monday, February 15, 2016 8:54 PM
  • I'm having that problem with WinZip also.
    Monday, February 15, 2016 10:38 PM
  • Uninstalling KB3135173 is not a "fix" but a temporary (and especially in Windows 10 era) workaround.  I apologize for you not getting the support I had hoped for.
    Tuesday, February 16, 2016 12:16 AM
  • Anyone wondering how to uninstall it, from Command Prompt:

wusa /uninstall /kb:3135173

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 8:12 AM
  • I, too, am having this problem with WinZip causing the htm default to be reset to Edge.  

WinZip 15.5 Pro, Win 10 Pro X64, Avast Pro.

Am happy to supply any information needed to help debug the issue.

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 10:16 AM
  • I, too, am having this problem with WinZip causing the htm default to be reset to Edge.  

WinZip 15.5 Pro, Win 10 Pro X64, Avast Pro.

Am happy to supply any information needed to help debug the issue.

Windows 10 - An app default was reset (older WinZip versions) - WinZip Computing :: Knowledgebase : http://kb.winzip.com/kb/entry/401/

Ramesh Srinivasan  |  The Winhelponline Blog

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 6:55 PM
  • Yes.  However, it was not causing problems before kb135173.  I have just checked with two laptops that had been turned off, and thus not updated.  Both handled winzip perfectly. Then updated.  Then both failed.

Curiously, I have another computer that IS updated, and does NOT fail with winzip.  I can see no differences in configuration.

I'm reluctant to remove cumulative updates.  And I'm reluctant to buy new licences for winzip.  Pah!

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 11:26 PM
  • And yet - winzip v20 does remove the problem.  Don't like the new interface, but I guess you can't stick in the last century for ever.

Signing out

Mr Grumpy.

Wednesday, February 17, 2016 12:22 AM
  • All,

I simply loaded up the Default Programs dialogue (Search: Default Programs > Set your default programs) and then manually assigned the applications I chose for defaults (Chrome and Photos) by highlighting them and choosing "Set this program as default".  Following this, the problem seems to have disappeared.

I'll report back if not!

Steve

Wednesday, February 17, 2016 3:31 PM
  • I have a similar problem with WinZip, but mine happens when I double-click a ZIP file.
    Wednesday, February 17, 2016 9:21 PM
  • I ran trouble shooter, restarted, set default apps and it still keeps coming - HELP
    Thursday, February 18, 2016 7:51 PM
  • Same problem as well.

Each day I'm getting these messages.

Udi Burg www.unisfair.com

Saturday, February 20, 2016 8:38 AM
  • Case 116021313704293

Earlier, I uninstalled the KB to solve the problem.  The KB automatically downloaded itself again, and I postponed the reboot.

Today I rebooted my computer to install the KB.

Then from a command line I ran:

regedit.exe /s w10_stop_reset-fileasso.reg  which is the edit script from the web site recommended by others. for fixing this problem.

No change.  I've rebooted, and no change.  Still get six notifications after reboot.  Still get endless hundreds of notifications if I rename a .txt fileon my desktop to .html.  All of the notifications are about HTML.  No other file associations seem to be affected.

Walt

Saturday, February 20, 2016 11:14 PM
  • Hello
    Despite install the latest update to the app reset the photo below, but there is still a problem.
    Please fix the problem.
    with respect

http://up.vbiran.ir/uploads/2013145604248027336_Screenshot%20(21).png

Sunday, February 21, 2016 7:56 AM
  • Same problem with german version Windows 10. I keep resetting the apps back. 

Happening for PDF and HTML, it takes just opening a folder, until it suddenly resets it, somethings 1-2 days it's ok, and then again, dozens of those messages. Very annoying. Uninstalling KB doesn't really help, as it comes back. 

Using Avira as AV, so as others using Essential, Norton, I doubt it has to do with AV at all. 

Sunday, February 21, 2016 5:02 PM
  • Got a call from Microsoft around noon.  They sent a link to a download that ran a diagnostic program on my desktop PC and gathered system info, then uploaded back to MS.  So they are working the job, and not ignoring it.

I've been doing Windows troubleshooting at home and at work since 1990 (it was DOS then), but in 2011 I bought a Microsoft Signature Edition desktop PC and it's been remarkably stable.  My diagnostic skills are now obsolete, which is OK; I'm going to be patient.

Walt

Monday, February 22, 2016 1:33 AM
  • Then from a command line I ran:

regedit.exe /s w10_stop_reset-fileasso.reg  which is the edit script from the web site recommended by others. for fixing this problem.

No change.  I've rebooted, and no change.  Still get six notifications after reboot.  Still get endless hundreds of notifications if I rename a .txt fileon my desktop to .html.  All of the notifications are about HTML.  No other file associations seem to be affected.

Walt

Walt,

The fix worked 100% for all others who applied it and you can check that in Answers forums or in the post comments. regedit.exe /s would have suppressed any errors if it encountered any. Can you re-run without "/s" param. I think the registry settings weren't applied correctly.

Addendum:

For example if there is a typo in the file name (that means passing a non-existent file as the parameter), regedit.exe "/s" wouldn't notify you.

Monday, February 22, 2016 8:25 AM
  • Ramesh,

Good call.  Without the silent switch, I got: "Error opening file.  There may be a disk of file system error."

Running the script from the Command Prompt as an Administrator gave no errors and my computer is fixed!

Thanks to everyone for the help.  I'm back in production mode.

Walt

Monday, February 22, 2016 4:32 PM
  • Thanks for the update, Walt.

Monday, February 22, 2016 6:02 PM
  • I get the same issue when running MediaMonkey.  Immediately resets mp3,m3u,etc. to Groove music.  How can it be fixed?
    Friday, February 26, 2016 2:31 AM
  • The official response from Windows is that the issue is your third party software, not Windows 10

In Windows 10, to configure your default apps, click Start button, Settings, System and then Default apps.  This is the only supported method to manually change your default app settings.

We’ve seen behavior by some apps that have set themselves as default in unsupported ways by deleting or corrupting registry settings. Details on supported methods for apps to register file associations can be found on MSDN here.  Update KB3135173 for Windows addresses the problem and resets application defaults to the initial Windows settings when registry settings are deleted or corrupted.  We have worked with some of these app providers so the apps no longer exhibit this behavior in their latest versions.  If a user proactively changes their default app settings using the supported method, the registry won’t be corrupted and those user settings are retained.

See the locked post here:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/after-the-installation-of-kb3135173-a-small-set-of/27eaff6f-d373-4718-91fd-c2822d82ced5?auth=1

• Proposed as answer by Dag Sanna Wednesday, August 3, 2016 11:31 AM
    Saturday, February 27, 2016 3:32 AM
  • No 3rd party security software/antivirus, only MSE/Defender.
    Monday, February 29, 2016 2:26 PM
  • Today I installed KB3140743 and KB3139907. On my system this fixed the recurring "App default was reset" problem that was introduced by KB3135173.  

In my case after installing KB3135173, even if I did Start>Settings>System>Default Apps, then "Reset to Microsoft recommended defaults", upon reboot I would *still* get many popup/chime warnings about "app default was reset". This continued for several minutes, listing .pdf, htm, html, etc until it finally quits. After that the system seemed to run OK, but after every reboot this happened. Functionally it extended the reboot process from one minute to five minutes.

I never tried the previously-listed registry fix, just de-installed KB3135173. The problem was it would be re-installed after each subsequent Windows update.

This seems now fixed, at least on my machine. The notes for KB3140743 include: "Reset app default when a registry setting is deleted or corrupted and streamlined notification about the corruption."

This implies it fixed something that KB3135173 messed up. Since Microsoft essentially said there is no problem with Windows, but the underlying issue was registry corruption caused by poorly-behaved apps, I think we need a more detailed explanation: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/after-the-installation-of-kb3135173-a-small-set-of/27eaff6f-d373-4718-91fd-c2822d82ced5?auth=1

This was a highly disruptive problem for a significant number of users. The issues caused by KB3135173 have been *widely* reported in the trade press, including The Inquirer, which dubbed it "Updategate". There were apparently several aspects to the problem:

- Windows update reset certain app defaults

- On some systems even after those defaults were reset (by either Windows or the user), the warning messages "an app default was reset" never went away but happened on every reboot.

We need more explanation than a silent fix for a problem Microsoft said was never really there.

Any users who were forced to use makeshift workarounds should consider removing those and seeing if this update fixes their situation.

Wednesday, March 2, 2016 4:37 PM
  • Someone from Answers said (after installing KB3140743): "As a follow-up, while defaults are still being hijacked, I no longer receive notifications in the sidebar. All of a sudden I'll just notice that the defaults have been changed."

(From Microsoft Edge 10576 resetting to default PDF reader)

who then reported... "After reinstalling the Reg fix, the hijacking appears to have stopped. "

Thursday, March 3, 2016 6:10 PM
  • I had that problem when opening .zip file associated with WinZip (ver.12)

I fixed that problem by changing the registry value:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\AppX4hxtad77fbk3jkkeerkrm0ze94wjf3s9]
    "NoOpenWith"=""

/jas

• Proposed as answer by jastrzebiec Thursday, March 3, 2016 9:04 PM
    Thursday, March 3, 2016 9:03 PM
  • Susan  I ended up being sent to Microsoft support where they told me this was virus related and tried to get me to buy support.

So frustrating.  Subhra stopped trying to work with me after I went to visit my grand daughter and was unavailable for a week.  The number he sent me to, has a sole purpose of selling products and subscriptions.  I have never found a virus that I haven't been able to identify and didn't want to argue with a sales person.

Thanks for opening 116021513708626 for me, but I'm at a dead end.

Did you figure out the winzip issue yet? I'm stuck

Friday, March 4, 2016 2:40 PM
  • This blog post says it's caused by the metro apps:

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/windows-10-resetting-file-associations/

Friday, March 4, 2016 3:59 PM
  • The above link also includes an easy fix using the registry
    Tuesday, March 8, 2016 11:05 PM
  • The only app I changed from the default was to use IE11 and not Edge.

Both of these are Microsoft built in apps. I like the way MS tries to say it is app makers when they are the app makers of the ones I did. They are getting really bad at changing things around and not telling anyone.

Thursday, April 28, 2016 5:03 PM
  • i dont have the kb3135173 update instaled and still have problem with this issue! :(
    Friday, April 29, 2016 1:01 PM
  • didn`t worked for me :(
    Friday, April 29, 2016 1:02 PM
  • says unknown?

Monday, May 16, 2016 7:50 AM
  • Just had the mother of all crashes as a result of an automatic update by windows 10.

First, the Laptop (Dell Latitude) turned itself off.

Then while restarting, I got stuck in the black screen with the rotating balls for 20 minutes. Tried that 3 times, upon the third time, I got into the auto repair option. Auto repair startup cleared the problem.

Then I returned, and Firefox was gone, and Win10 tells me the app was re-set.

I can still find it in applications, but when I say "uninstall" nothing happens. Then, my internet connection was gone. I could see all wifi networks except my own, all my other PCs can see it and work with it. Multiple restarts of everything without a result. I then went into settings, uninstalled the wifi device without deleting the driver and reinstalled it. No improvement until I restarted. Then, it could find the network again, and I re-entered my password. Then, I could finally go online to re-install firefox. Et voila. 2 days of time wasted because of the "an app was reset" issue and not sue yet that I have discovered all the issues...

Sunday, June 12, 2016 9:54 PM
  • I also have this issue, it is very annoying. 
    Sunday, August 14, 2016 3:19 AM