Performance monitoring of dynamic memory RRS feed

• Question

• Server Manager offers performance monitoring of server groups, however, the memory monitoring when using Hyper-V dynamic memory is something I cannot configure reasonably.

The problem is, of course, that available memory is a function of demand and assigned memory and it seems like the Server Manager threshold is just a simple static number of MB to be available or getting an indication.

Any good solution for this?

Friday, October 20, 2017 6:38 PM

All replies

• Hi,

As I understand it, the issue you are experiencing is:  The available memory shown in server manager performance monitoring is not what we needed.

If I have misunderstood your concern, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Would you please let me know what you want to monitor?

By default, the performance counter that Server manager uses is \Memory\Available Kbytes, it shows the available memory in the server.

If we want to monitor the detailed information related to Hyper-V dynamic memory, we need to use dedicated performance counters on Hyper-V host.

The following link contains the detailed information:

Monitoring Dynamic Memory in Windows Server Hyper-V 2012….

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/chrisavis/2013/03/06/monitoring-dynamic-memory-in-windows-server-hyper-v-2012/

The performance counters in server manager could be modified in the following:

Best Regards,

Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 23, 2017 6:53 AM
  • Yes, I think you state just about what I tried to do: The available memory shown in server manager performance monitoring is not what we needed.

However, I don't really know what to use insted, but I assume your link has some relevant answers for this and I will study it closer.

You say: By default, the performance counter that Server manager uses is \Memory\Available Kbytes
    That together with the sentence below it indicates that it is possible to instruct the Server Manager to monitor other counters, but I don't see how to do this really (the collector set of the given server is configured as 7 different counters, but only 2 are shown in the Server Manager, namely CPU and (Available)Memory).
    Could you please explain how to setup monitoring with other counters?

• Edited by EuroEager Monday, October 23, 2017 12:59 PM
    Monday, October 23, 2017 12:58 PM
  • Hi,

I’m also not able to setup monitoring other counters in Server manager. And it seems there are not any related documents about the configuration.

So I suggest to use performance monitor to get what we need, performance monitor is a frequently used tool to monitor Hyper-V dynamic memory.

Best Regards,

Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 24, 2017 5:41 AM
  • Thanks

Server Manager uses the performance counters from PerfMon, easy to see at the actual server to be monitored (the perfmon also writes to files which may opened in perfmon).

As you agree, it seems like the Server Manager is hardcode d to only use 2 of them mentioned

Tuesday, October 24, 2017 9:33 AM
  • Hi,

Currently, I could not find anything else related to using other counters in Server manager.

If I could get any updates on it later, I would share you the information.

Best Regards,

Frank

Wednesday, October 25, 2017 5:59 AM