none
"Save As" file corruption RRS feed

• Question

• Good morning-

I too am having problems with file corruption in MSP 2010.  My schedule consists of a resource pool of about 150, with over 1000 tasks all with sub tasks.  Basically my schedule is huge and tops at 6 MB.  I keep my schedule on a shared server, (we'll call it "T" drive for clarity purposes,) and back it up on my desk top.  My problem:

When I perform a "save as" to either place, if I have already saved to that location say "T" and try to "save as" again to "T",  it gives me an error, "file cannot be opened, check that the file name & path are correct, check that the format is correct, project files saved in a earlier version MSP98 can't be opened.  I click okay, but it is too late at this point, the file becomes corrupted.   However, if I "save as" back and forth correctly, I have no problems.  It seems there is something wrong with the "save as" command.  I have been trying to deal with this issued for weeks now, and my IT department is at their wits end.  I cannot continue to rebuild everything 3 & 4 times a day!!

Friday, September 21, 2012 1:09 PM

All replies

• Marliegh,

My experience and understanding is that Project gets "confused" if too many "save as" happens.  I suggest you pick ONE place to store and use the file, and I would suggest that be on a local drive as it would be fastest and probably more reliable.

Use the operating system, e.g. the "copy" command, or Windows Explore to copy from the "working" copy to the backup copy (which could be on a file server).  

So ... stop using "save as" like this else you will continue to have to rebuild. 

--rms www.rmschneider.com

• Proposed as answer by Ismet Kocaman Wednesday, October 3, 2012 7:29 PM
    Friday, September 21, 2012 1:24 PM
  • Marliegh,

As Rob eluded, the problem stems from trying to keep a dynamic linked structure in different locations. Each time you use Save As to backup one of the files, you effectively duplicate the link structure. This leads to file corruption very quickly. Using Save As back to the same location and file name won't be a problem. I always use Save As with all my files, but then I always Save As back to the same location and file name. Never had a problem.

If you need to backup the whole structure, I agree with Rob's suggestion to use a Copy (en masse).

John

• Proposed as answer by Ismet Kocaman Wednesday, October 3, 2012 7:29 PM
    Friday, September 21, 2012 3:14 PM