none
Roll back 1903 to 1809 INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I upgraded Windows 10 on a machine from 1809 to 1903 but couldn't get McAfee EPO to install the new version of their security tools (even though their May update is supposedly compatible). So I just went into recovery and told it to roll back and now when the PC boots it says INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE.

I tried the usual parlor tricks (fixboot) in the recovery command prompt and that hasnt made the situation any better. Does anyone know what might be causing this? This is Win 10 ENT i have safe boot and all of that in the BIOS and the OS is on an NVME drive.

thanks

Tuesday, May 28, 2019 1:54 PM

All replies

• Hi,

INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error happens frequently while upgrading to Windows 10. Faulty disk controller drivers and Windows packages are often the causes, and sometimes due to hard disk errors.

Since the issue happened after the update. The problem can be caused by installed Windows packages.

Try to repair and use the DISM command to uninstall the packages:

1. Ensure your PC is off.

2. Press the power button to turn on your PC, then hold the power button down until PC shuts down automatically (about 5 seconds) . Repeat this more than 2 times until you see the Preparing Automatic Repair.

3. Click Advanced options-Troubleshoot-Advanced options-Command Prompt

4. Run command Dism /Image:X:\ /Get-Packages get the packages your installed (X means the drive your system has installed).

Then you’ll get a list of packages installed on your computer. Find out the package that may cause the error. You can identify by the installing date.

5. Run the following command to remove the package.

dism.exe /image:d:\ /remove-package /packagename:XXXXXX

6. The uninstall process may take a few minutes. Please wait until it completes.

After uninstalling the packages, reboot your computer and check to see if the problem is resolved.

Best regards,

Farena

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 29, 2019 3:11 AM
  • It actually happened while it was in the process of rolling back, not during an upgrade.
    Wednesday, May 29, 2019 12:49 PM
  • Hi,

You can boot to Safe Mode, right?

If you have loaded in Safe Mode, restart your PC to see if the proper storage drivers will be loaded and that the storage device is recognized.

Look in Device Manager to see if any devices are marked with the exclamation point (!). Review the events log displayed in driver properties for any faulting driver. Try updating the related driver.

Check the System Log in Event Viewer for additional error messages that might help pinpoint the device or driver that is causing the error.

For more information, open event viewer. Look for critical errors in the system log that occurred in the same time window as the blue screen.

Hope these can help you.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 30, 2019 8:10 AM
  • No, I can't boot into safe mode.

As soon as I told the machine to rollback to 1809 it began doing it's thing, it rebooted and now it will only give me the INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error.

I noticed when I put Windows install media in the PC in order to get to a command prompt so that I could look at it when the Windows installer first starts it says that I am in the progress of an upgrade (which I am not....) so something is definitely quirky.

Thursday, May 30, 2019 11:48 AM
  • Hi,

It seems the pending updates cause the inaccessible boot device error.

Here are some posts with the similar issue with yours, just for your reference, please refer to the solutions:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/inaccessible-boot-device-error-cause-fix/8950ec0c-8502-4af4-aca6-be0e41fe463b

Hope these can help you.

Friday, May 31, 2019 6:44 AM
  • Hi,

Any update? Please let us know if you need more help.

Tuesday, June 4, 2019 7:35 AM