Sequenced Matlab takes ages to starts! RRS feed

• Question

• Hello there!

we are trying to sequence the full package of Matlab (any version) to use it later into a RDSH environment or RemoteAPP.

We are using AppV 5.1 and noticed that if we pack the single Matlab application (without toolbox) it loads and works fine within a minute, while the .appv packaged with all the toolboxes installed takes AGES to star (more than 20mins)

We are using a standalone installation of app-v and the package has been fully cached on the local host, so we really don't know what's happening: we start the binary application and it sits there, while the  appvClient.exe is growing and growing.

This happens also after the first run, the server we are testing has 64GB of RAM and lots of cores.

Has anybody else tried sequencing matlab in a such way?

thanks,

alaxa

Wednesday, December 30, 2015 3:13 PM

All replies

• I suggest running a ProcMon to see if it's looking for many files and registry and taking a long time to find them.

You could try figuring out where the files are that it's taking so long to traverse through and set that directory as the PVAD.

PLEASE MARK ANY ANSWERS TO HELP OTHERS Blog: rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon

Wednesday, December 30, 2015 7:18 PM
  • Sorry, I had to mention that I've already tried that way.

What happened is nothing, I mean that except seeing a lots of profiling events I don't see anything while monitoring the registry or the filesystem. I will try with processHacker, maybe I can find more informations.

What I don't understand is if the huge appv contains too many folders -20400- or files -380ooo- (24GB on disk) and something is being scanned each time. The "smaller" appv, which takes about 40 seconds to starts, contains 44600 files and 3100 folders (3GB) instead

thanks

Wednesday, December 30, 2015 9:44 PM
  • Some really good info Trentent, thanks

Nice script :)

Thursday, December 31, 2015 12:33 PM
  • Thanks for your help.

Yes, I did run those checks too, the staging task takes only 2 seconds (well, Matlab doesn't write so much into registry) so I'm afraid it's not my case.Also this matlab.appv  is fully cached (I believe) on the disk and not on network.

I was wondering if there are other ways to see what the system is doing while it's "sitting" there. I can provide other infos about this package if needed.

by the way, thanks for your links, seem very interesting and helpful for other App-V software!

Saturday, January 2, 2016 9:02 AM
  • Hi Alacsa,

You can use process explorer to get properties on AppV while it's 'doing its thing' and go to threads tab and select the highest CPU % thread and click 'Stack'.  The stack, if you copy/paste it here, will give a clue to the work it's doing.  You can refresh the stack a few times while it's doing its thing to get more 'snapshots' of what it's doing.  That should give a clue to what's consuming the CPU.

Monday, January 4, 2016 4:45 PM
  • Matlab does a search on it's toolbox.. I think this takes a lot of time. Did you try to set %installdir%/toolbox as PVAD?
    Also, if I'm correct the following file: %installdir%/toolbox/local/pathdef.m, contains a list of hardcoded search paths. Maybe you can create a publishing script, which updates the file with the correct search patchs (tokenized paths), and will help this to improve your start times.
    Sunday, January 10, 2016 11:34 AM
  • This is maybe a basic question but is there additional information logged into the event log and are there differences between the local installed and App-V version in the event log?
    Tuesday, January 12, 2016 6:33 AM
  • I'm pretty certain that this is an issue with Matlab 2015. We've had no problems sequencing previous versions but 2015a and b are dog slow to start, even if they're fully cached. 
    Monday, February 8, 2016 9:39 PM
  • Okay, I take back what I said. I had one of my staff sequence 2015b with the PVAD option enabled and its a lot faster. 
    Tuesday, February 9, 2016 5:55 PM
  • What folder are you using as the PVAD?
    Thursday, February 11, 2016 9:16 AM
  • How large is your registry.dat file inside the .APPV file?

Steve Thomas, Senior Consultant, Microsoft

App-V/MED-V/SCVMM/Server App-V/MDOP/AppCompat

http://blogs.technet.com/gladiatormsft/
    The App-V Team blog: http://blogs.technet.com/appv/
    The MED-V Team Blog: http://blogs.technet.com/medv
    The SCVMM Team blog: http://blogs.technet.com/scvmm/

“This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. User assumes all risks.”

Monday, February 15, 2016 4:32 AM