none
can not complete update

Question

• When the update run at 40% complete I get this message each time.

Windows can not configure one or more system elements.

I have the Update fixit program and one other that was suggested.  How to I procced.

Thanks,

ELB

Wednesday, February 15, 2017 9:02 PM

All replies

• Remove any anti-virus software \ security software (that can be installed again if the upgrade completes). Remove any hardware (scanners printers usb drive etc) not needed to boot the system and try again.
    Wednesday, February 15, 2017 9:55 PM
  • Hi ElB,

Which update did you want to installed?

Check if there is standalone package for that update. If yes, download and install it manually.

In addition, have you tried to reset the Windows update components?

How do I reset Windows Update components?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/971058/how-do-i-reset-windows-update-components

If the issue persists, you may try to do an In-Place Upgrade to repair your Windows installation using official ISO file:

Download Windows 10

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Note: If your Windows is Enterprise or Education, obtain the ISO from the MSDN subscription or Volume License Center.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 16, 2017 8:59 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved?

If yes, please mark the helpful reply as answer in order that other community members could find the helpful reply quickly.

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, February 24, 2017 8:56 AM
  • I think you just go remove any anti-virus software and other software who safe the system from virus.  When you complete your upgrading of system and then install again such softwares.  Also remove others external devices like usb, memory card, printer, scanner etc and yes no try to boot the system.
    Friday, February 24, 2017 7:05 PM