none
Project documents listed under documents and not under projects RRS feed

• Question

• I have a couple of issues.  Right now we do our projects according to releases.  The issue is that if I am using project web app, all of the projects show up under one location (under projects).  If I create my own sub-site then I have a documents app on that site by default.  I would like to have both the capability to publish the tasks and project to that site as well as have the actual project saved under the Documents directory for that site.

Thought on how I can accomplish this?

Friday, January 17, 2014 5:40 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You have to differenciate:

• PWA: this is the web portal of your Project Server instance, that allows you accessing any projects/sites
    • project sites: they are the Sharepoint sites associated with a project and created on demand when the project is publish

From PWA you can edit a project plan either in PWA with your web browser, or in Project Pro. The project center in PWA shows you a view (that can be configured, filtered...) of all projects, regardless of the sharepoint site associated.

Note that you can edit the PWA home page (or create a new page or edit the project center page) adding the "project sites" webpart. It will display on the page the list of all project sites as below:

Hope this helps.

Guillaume Rouyre - MBA, MCP, MCTS

Friday, January 17, 2014 7:51 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Maybe it will be clearer for my colleagues but I have to tell that I quite do not understand your concern. First of all, which version of Project are you using? 

Just to be clear:

When you first publish a project from Project Pro and if you configured Project Server accordingly, you have the ability to create a Sharepoint site associated to this project. Then you can manage lists, documents librairies in this site. The site is "connected" to the project plan since you can manage a deliverable list (published from the project plan), tasks, issues or documents linked to project tasks.

Note also that while publishing your project plan, you can specify that the project site will be a sub-site of an existing site. That might correspond to your need.

Please give us more explicit information and we'll be pleased to help you.

Friday, January 17, 2014 5:54 PM
  • Sorry for not being very clear.

Setup = Project Pro 2013 for Office 365, Project Online 2013, Sharepoint 2013.

What I am looking for is a way to represent each project by using a project site.  I can publish a project file to each of these sites but I want the physical project file to live under the Documents section of that site.  When I publish the project file, it seems to be saving the file automatically under the site assets section. I would like to be able to open and work on the project by going to the project site and editing it from the Documents directory.  But I want it to sync with the project site itself.  I already have it syncing with the site when I publish the document but it doesn't save under the documents directory.

Hope this clarifies.

Friday, January 17, 2014 7:20 PM
  • Hi jharmon7705,

--"I would like to be able to open and work on the project by going to the project site and editing it from the Documents directory"--

Project Server is actually NOT working like this. The project file (ie .MPP) will never be available in the sharepoint site document librairy. Project file is hosted on project server DBs and will always remain there.

There are many ways to access it (MS Project Pro, PWA - project center, Sharepoint project site) but not through the sharepoint site document librairy.

Is it a requirement from your management? Or is it just the way you'd like to manage it?

I'd advice to follow the normal process, ie the normal way to access the project site from the project plan and vice versa.

Hope this helps.

Friday, January 17, 2014 7:29 PM
  • It isn't a requirement of my management.  I see in PWA that I have the ability under projects to edit it on the web or to click on the icon and open it in project pro.  I like that option.  What I don't like is the fact that it shows all projects in that view regardless of the site it is associated with.  I was looking for a method of only showing the projects for a given release.  But I don't see a way to separate them on PWA.  Thus my reason for trying the other method with the documents directory.
    Friday, January 17, 2014 7:34 PM
  • Hi,

You have to differenciate:

• PWA: this is the web portal of your Project Server instance, that allows you accessing any projects/sites
    • project sites: they are the Sharepoint sites associated with a project and created on demand when the project is publish

From PWA you can edit a project plan either in PWA with your web browser, or in Project Pro. The project center in PWA shows you a view (that can be configured, filtered...) of all projects, regardless of the sharepoint site associated.

Note that you can edit the PWA home page (or create a new page or edit the project center page) adding the "project sites" webpart. It will display on the page the list of all project sites as below:

Hope this helps.

Friday, January 17, 2014 7:51 PM
  • Yep that helps a lot.  I was looking for a way to add the "project sites" web part.  Thanks.
    Friday, January 17, 2014 7:59 PM
  • You're more than welcome!

Please mark the reply as an answer, so we can close this thread.

Cheers.

Friday, January 17, 2014 8:00 PM
  • The interesting thing is that I found what I was looking for with the site assets app.  It shows the saved project and yet acts like a document repository. You can also click on the project from sharepoint and it will open up in project.
    Friday, January 17, 2014 10:04 PM