none
Dell Optiplex 3020 NIC issues during deployment

Question

• I am deploying Windows 7 SP1 x64 to Dell Optiplex 3020 with a standard MDT integrated task sequence. All of a sudden, we are experiencing issues where the NIC cannot start during Windows Setup. To be clear, once the machine reboots after Setup Windows and Configuration Manager step, and Windows is loading drivers, configuring the registry, etc, the NIC shuts off. The machine boots into the local install, not joined to the domain, and when you login with local admin, you can see a red "X" over the network icon in the system tray.

It's like the NIC is not initializing during setup. We have confirmed that during setup, the link light goes off. When logged into Windows, in device manager, it states for the NIC that the device cannot start. Code 10.

What's weird, is by shutting the computer down, and pulling power from the unit, and releasing all excess power, and then plugging back in, the NIC works with the right driver installed, enabled, and the device successfully starts. I'm using the cab files released by Dell on their ECM site.

Are there any log files to get a better glimpse into what is occurring here? I have been working with a Dell engineer, but they haven't been much help. Any other thoughts? I would appreciate any assistance.

Thursday, June 4, 2015 2:34 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Any error in smsts.log on the client?

Best Regards,

Joyce

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, June 5, 2015 4:48 AM
  • Hi

Have you tested other Optiplex 3020.

Are you using the A06 driver package from Enterprise Dell Cab?  I have some links on my blogpost:

http://www.sccm.biz/2014/06/enterprise-driver-packs-download.html

Friday, June 5, 2015 6:09 AM
  • Joyce, there are errors in the smsts.log but they just refer to not being able to download the files it needs like the toolkit package, etc. 

Nicolai, yes, I am using the A06 driver pack from Dell.

Friday, June 5, 2015 1:59 PM
  • Keep in mind that the driver packs are not updated as often as the driver files themselves.  I would check to see if there is a standalone download of a newer driver.  And the question above should still stand, have you experienced this on multiple 3020's to rule out a hardware defect on a particular machine? 
    Friday, June 5, 2015 5:16 PM
  • Forgive me, yes, it's happening on all 3020's not just one computer in particular. I have looked for updated drivers and I am using the latest.
    Friday, June 5, 2015 8:04 PM
  • Could it be a negotiation issue on the switch you are connected to?  Can you move the 3020 to a new switch and try to reproduce?  If that doesn't work, I would engage your network team to do a network trace while the issue is happening. 
    Tuesday, June 9, 2015 2:51 PM
  • Yeah it is happening on multiple switches. We are a large school district, and it is ocurring on all 3020's at all the campuses with all different switches and vlan's. I am still working with the Dell Engineer and have a conference call tomorrow to see if we can figure something else out.
    Tuesday, June 9, 2015 6:02 PM
  • Keep us posted if you would!
    Tuesday, June 9, 2015 6:21 PM
  • Hello,

I have heard the same issue (or similar) reported on the Dell OptiPlex 9020M. In this case, the issue appeared after having added the latest NIC drivers from Dell to the Driver Package.

David Gustafsson

Wednesday, June 10, 2015 6:26 AM
  • Maybe try to downstep the driver version?
    Wednesday, June 10, 2015 4:33 PM
  • Yep, downgrading the driver version of the Realtek driver in the boot image itself resolved the issue. 

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN297614/en

• Marked as answer by gwchandler Wednesday, June 10, 2015 9:27 PM
    Wednesday, June 10, 2015 5:04 PM
  • Downgrading the driver did not work for me.

Only way I was able to get it working consistently Using SCCM 2012 R2 CU3   Server 2008

On Client Windows 7 32 Bit

Out of the box bios settings (No UEFI or UEFI boot stack turned on). Legacy boot Secure boot off.

Bios A07

Realtek PCI GBE Family Controller Nic drivers version 7.92.115.2015 (Had to get this from Realteks website not Dell)

In SCCM

Add the Realtek driver to you're winpe 5.0 boot image X86 or X64.

Add the driver to you're OptiPlex 3020 Driver package.

In the task sequence I added 2 steps right after the Setup Windows and Configuration Manager step.

A command line step to turn power management on high.

powercfg -setactive 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c

A step to add a registry setting for the Nic, this disables power management of the Nic card card. (Note the location of the Device name may be different for you mine was 0007.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0007]
    "PnPCapabilities"=dword:00000018

*note* you may not need to set the power management on high command its just what I used to ensure the system was not turning anything off from power settings.

Monday, July 13, 2015 9:30 PM