none
Custom Ribbon and Global.MPT RRS feed

• Question

• MSP Pro 2016 - I have two major completely different subject matter programs I support, Program A.mpp and Program B.mpp.  They have totally different views, field layouts, filters, groups, and macro's that apply to them.  When I open one or the other I get the same ribbon bar that has all the elements from both files.  It is extremely cluttered (and confusing) with filters, groups, and macro's that interact to one or the other.

If I'm in Program A and delete a filter or macro from the ribbon bar it also deletes it from Program B ribbon bar.  Is it possible for each file to have it own customized ribbon bar that does not affect the other file?  And secondly, should I use the Organizer to move program unique elements to there (other than the built-in's) ".mpp" file and then delete them from the Global.MPT.     

I would greatly appreciate some guidance.

Steve

Saturday, December 24, 2016 5:12 PM

Answers

• Steve,

Yes, the best way to isolate custom elements is to keep them in the file and not in the Global. However, I'm guessing the option to "automatically add new views, tables, filters and groups to the Global" is "on" and in your case you want it "off". To change it go to File > Options > advanced group.

Hope this helps.

John

• Marked as answer by Mrcvn Sunday, December 25, 2016 12:49 PM
    Saturday, December 24, 2016 7:19 PM
  • John,

Thank you.  The "automatic add" option was already in the "off" setting.  So now I'm doing the housekeeping activity with the Organizer to move program unique elements to there ".mpp file".  As to the ribbon bar hopefully that will clear itself up.

Steve   

Sunday, December 25, 2016 12:49 PM

All replies

• Steve,

Yes, the best way to isolate custom elements is to keep them in the file and not in the Global. However, I'm guessing the option to "automatically add new views, tables, filters and groups to the Global" is "on" and in your case you want it "off". To change it go to File > Options > advanced group.

Hope this helps.

John

Saturday, December 24, 2016 7:19 PM
  • John,

Thank you.  The "automatic add" option was already in the "off" setting.  So now I'm doing the housekeeping activity with the Organizer to move program unique elements to there ".mpp file".  As to the ribbon bar hopefully that will clear itself up.

Steve   

Sunday, December 25, 2016 12:49 PM
  • Steve,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

Keep in mind that if your macros only reside in the Project file and not in the Global, you will not be able to create a custom toolbar/ribbon button for them. I suggest you put your macros in the Global and then create two separate ribbon tabs, one for each program.

John

Sunday, December 25, 2016 3:57 PM