none
Late Finish dates changing unpredictably RRS feed

• Question

• Over the last three or four weeks, my schedule will (seemingly randomly) decide to set almost all of my Late Finish dates to the Finish date of the task, giving everything 0 slack. Then, a few days later, all the Late Finishes will suddenly jump back out to where they were supposed to be all along.

I can't seem to find any connection between the changes I've made, and the behavior of the recalculated dates. It seems like MS Project thinks that everything is suddenly on a critical path, and then later it realizes that's not true. Sometimes it occurs even when I haven't changed any dates/predecessors/successors at all...in one case, it happened after I added a task with 0 duration and 0 successors, and the entire schedule just lit up blue with all the changes for no reason. I've tried googling this, but all I'm finding are explanations of how Late Finish is calculated...there doesn't seem to be anything about Late Finish shifting around randomly between the accurate value and 0.

Some theories I have eliminated, because I can't recreate the behavior by using them: that it has something to do with setting tasks as milestones, that the schedule is changing its mind about ASAP/ALAP, that it has to do with those milestones being scheduled as MSO.

(By the way, I did save an old copy of the schedule where it has no slack, and I can compare it to the current version that does have slack, if anyone has any ideas about what the difference might be between them.)

Thursday, May 7, 2015 1:44 PM

All replies

• Oh, one important point I forgot to mention: that test task, with 0 duration and no linkage, only caused the Late Finishes to jump around on my own desktop. When I tried it on another machine, without making ANY other changes other than that one task, it did NOT do it.

I think it's likely that something in my own application Settings is causing this, but I have no idea what.

Thursday, May 7, 2015 1:46 PM
  • stilelits,

First of all, what version of Project are you using? Second, is it updated with the latest service pack and public updates? Are you in a Project Server environment?

If your version of Project is all updated, it's possible your file is corrupt, although you say you tired it on another machine and you did not see the anomaly. Nonetheless, you might try saving the file as XML and then re-open in Project. Note, you will lose any custom formatting using this process.

Without more detailed information, or perhaps a screenshot, it's difficult to determine what you may be seeing. Let's address the above questions and then we can go from there.

John

Thursday, May 7, 2015 2:16 PM
  • Are you by chance using dependency links on summary tasks? Some of the behavior you are describing smacks of an undetected circular relationship in your task network, which is most often caused by the practice of linking to summary tasks.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG

Friday, May 8, 2015 10:31 AM