none
OSD on an Lenovo M720 with Optane RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm struggling to build a device with an optane setup? The image works on every other model we have, but for some reason I can't install it on the device which has a Optane setup?

I've updated the Boot image, as well as created a package with the new drivers, but it still doesn't seem to work and I get a can't find operating system type 1962 error.

Any guidance would be great appreciated

Cheers

Wednesday, February 6, 2019 11:58 AM

All replies

• Hi,

As far as I know, the Optane memory + HDD configuration is not supported by configuration manager. The Optane memory and the HDD forms a volume, working as RAID 0. And this is not a supported scenario for configuration manager.

The Optane memory + HDD configuration is a temporary solution when the SSD price is high. Currently, the SSD price drops obviously, comparable to the classic HDD, we may consider to change the classic storage to SSD, which supports the OS deployment smoothly.

At current situation, we can "burn" the .iso file into a USB stick and boot from the USB to install the OS manually, since most modern computers, for example, M720 laptos, haven't a DVD-ROM.

Hope the above information helps.

Regards,

Alex Zhu
    -----------------------------------------------
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Thursday, February 7, 2019 3:27 AM
  • Hi Alex,

Really, thats a bummer, but doesn't surprise me!

Thanks though.

Thursday, February 7, 2019 10:56 AM
  • Have a look in that Guide please:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/memory-and-storage/IOM_Corporate_Reimaging_Guide.pdf

Section 3 "Image Deployment":

So if you integrate the Intel RST Storage Drivers in the Boot Image it should work as expected.

Thursday, February 7, 2019 12:34 PM
  • Hi Michael,

Thanks for this, I did have a look through all this previously. I have injected the RST drivers into the boot image, and I can see them in the boot image also?

I'm logging a call with Microsoft to see if they can help with any guidance....

Thursday, February 7, 2019 1:41 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you very much for the reply.

Yes, the important part for OSD is the storage driver and network interface driver. With the storage being recognized, we can install OS to; with NIC being recognized, we can pull custom OS image from distribution points.

For this problem, besides the ticket with Microsoft, we can also contact Intel or Lenovo to see if they can help.

Hope the problem is solved soon.

Regards,

Alex Zhu
    -----------------------------------------------
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Friday, February 8, 2019 6:34 AM
  • Hi Michael,

Thank again for this, I've also downloaded the files from Intel and it still didn't work. :(

I didn't try the optane memory setup though. I'll download that and see what happens when I extract the files?

Cheers

Steve

Friday, February 8, 2019 9:02 AM
  • Don't think that this Setup Files will help you in the WinPE Phase...i think it's only for the installed OS.
    Friday, February 8, 2019 9:07 AM
  • Seems this is the way it should be setup:

https://www.dell.com/support/article/at/de/atbsdt1/sln306541/optane-enabled-system-may-not-boot-when-a-hard-drive-or-optane-device-fails?lang=en

So reset the Optane Config install the OS with the RST Drivers and after that enable Optane again...

• Edited by Michael-CM Friday, February 8, 2019 9:10 AM
    Friday, February 8, 2019 9:10 AM
  • Hi Micheal,

I know, but I'm trying everything.

I did reset the optance, and it didn't work...... but, I have updated the drivers since then so I'll try it again.

The problem is if this fixes it, it's a step the helpdesk guys will have to do, which is a pain really.

I'll try this again and let you know.

Cheers

Friday, February 8, 2019 9:31 AM