none
Is it possible to recover master to the same instance? RRS feed

• Question

• dpm 2010

In a disaster scenario where an instance has been rebuilt as it previously existed  - same server name, reinstall of the sql instance to the same instance name - can master be recovered using dpm?  I just attempted to do a master recovery using the last recovery point and the Recover to original instance option is disabled.

I tried using the alternate instance option and entered the original instance(rebuilt). and got an error stating that DPM cannot restore a system database to an alternate location.

How's does one go about recovering master? 

Saturday, September 24, 2011 2:31 PM

Answers

• Yes, thats what needs to be done. Make SQL offline, restore the mdf & ldf files and then bring the SQL up.

Regards, Deepan [This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.] [P.S. If the post answers your question or guides you about what you're looking for, please mark it as answered.]
    • Marked as answer by gamagl Monday, September 26, 2011 6:01 PM
    Monday, September 26, 2011 4:59 PM

All replies

• Hi

Please look at this link to verify your restore approach: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399066.aspx

Best Regards

Robert Hedblom

MVP DPM

Check out my DPM blog @ http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com

Monday, September 26, 2011 9:29 AM
  • Is the instance on a Cluster?
    Regards, Deepan [This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.] [P.S. If the post answers your question or guides you about what you're looking for, please mark it as answered.]
    Monday, September 26, 2011 1:47 PM
  • Yes I see where it says that a system database cannot be restored to another instance, but tryin gto restore the original instance is disabled.
    Monday, September 26, 2011 2:35 PM
  • In the situation I was testing it was a cluster.

Monday, September 26, 2011 2:36 PM
  • Recovery of master database to original location in the case of a clustered SQL instance is disabled.

SQL master database recovery requires stopping the SQL server, replacing the files and then starting the SQL server again. In the case of a Cluster, the moment the SQL server is stopped on the active node (say X), the cluster causes it to failover to some other node making the file paths unavailable for recovery on X. The recovery is bound to fail and hence it is disabled.

Hope this helps why you're seeing the existing behavior.

Monday, September 26, 2011 2:40 PM
  • Thanks that explains the gui. 

So in a cluster rebuild situation, after reinstalling SQL, we normally bring sql offline and start it from a command window in single user mode. Then we do a restore of master from a backup. 

Using DPM do we restore the mdf and ldf files to the network and replace the master database files?

Monday, September 26, 2011 3:26 PM
  • Yes, thats what needs to be done. Make SQL offline, restore the mdf & ldf files and then bring the SQL up.

• Marked as answer by gamagl Monday, September 26, 2011 6:01 PM
    Monday, September 26, 2011 4:59 PM