Migrating applications from XP to Win7 RRS feed

• Question

• I need to rewrite my applications to deploy and work on Win7.
    Currently they work on XP Professional and Office 2003/2007.
    However, I read and write data to the HKLM hive, install programs and data to the Program Files directory and probably other Win7 inapproproate behaviours.
    Is there any reference for where to install programs, registry keys, etc?
    My client totally skipped Vista, so I need to make the transition soon.
    Tuesday, January 5, 2010 3:37 AM

All replies

• without knowing what you are doing, we can not really help, other than say build a network of win 7 boxes and work out the kinks.

I have a little access DB app I wrote and it needed nothing done to run on win 7, I create and load files to c:\programs files\autodata and it runs from there just fine.
    There is post here where someone form MS gives a list of folders which allow installing into.

But your best course of action will be to just work it out on your own, as without a standard app to install,
    so we could see just what is happening we would all be guessing.

Tuesday, January 5, 2010 2:09 PM
  • There must be guidelines written down somewhere. Too many major changes between XP and Win7.
    Blindly testing without planning is wasteful of my time, as I wouldn't get paid for it.

I think I read somewhere that the HKLM hive was off limits now for user level access.
    I know writing user data to Program Files folder didn't work on Vista--I assume it wouldn't on Win7. I could manually force permission changes, but doing that comapany wide is not a good idea (permission changes in setup wouldn't run, security violation).

I don't want to write to just user specific folders and regkeys, as the data needs to be accessible to any logged in user.
    Must be information of this type somewhere.

I have an Outlook addin, plus a dozen InfoPath forms, and a few EXEs, all accessing the computers registry and files under high trust. I need to come up with a reasonable bid to port everything to Win7.
    Tuesday, January 5, 2010 5:50 PM
  • I take it you are not a msdn member.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/aa904987.aspx
    Tuesday, January 5, 2010 8:28 PM
  • Almost broke, most of my contracts were cancelled.
    I'd love to get profitable enough to afford a MSDN sub..

Thanks for the link, I'll work through it..
    Tuesday, January 5, 2010 9:54 PM
  • In a word:  variables!  When you install, use %programfiles% variables instead of forcing an install.  Windows will handle making your application compatible for you.

It's okay to write to those locations during install:  the only thing you need to concentrate on is making your application not write to those locations during typical usage, because standard users cannot write to those locations without admin rights.

Basically, keep your program EXE separate from any data it saves during normal operation.

If this was helpful, please vote. If it solves the issue, please click Propose as Answer. Thanks!
    Tuesday, January 5, 2010 11:55 PM