A8N32-SLI DELUXE usb issues RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have had a problem with the usb ports on the motherboard since i attempted to install the vista updates KB941600 and KB941649. I had difficulty installing the updates at first, but the problem persists even after successfully installing these updates and using system restore. The problem is that my usb mouse refuses to work. I have tried different usb mice with no result, any game controllers also do not work. The laser on the mouse does not even light up like its getting power at all. However, my usb 4g drive *does* work, but only in 2 of the 4 ports. I have determined so far that it is not a hardware failure by loading a different OS (ubuntu) and the usb mouse works fine in all 4 ports. This is very confusing to me, please help.
    Sunday, November 25, 2007 7:54 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I learned from your post that the issue occurs after the installing of two new updates (KB941600 and KB941649). However, to better address this issue, I would like to double confirm the following:

1.    Did the issue occur before applying the two updates (or immediately after applying them)?

2.    Is there any special changes (for example, adding software/hardware) performed recently on this computer (which may also cause this problem)?

Please let me know the results, thank you.

Based on the current situation, I would like to provide you with the following suggestions to narrow down the cause and fix this issue.

Suggestions:

1.    Let's try reinstalling USB controllers driver.

First, please disconnect all USB devices. Then, go through the following steps:

a. Click "Start", go to "Run", type in "devmgmt.msc" without the quotation marks and press "Enter".

b. In Device Manager, double click to expand "Universal Serial Bus controllers", right click on the "USB Controller", click "Uninstall" and click "OK".

c. Repeat the step 2 to uninstall all items under "Universal Serial Bus controllers".

2.    If the Windows Vista built-in USB controller does not work, I strongly suggest we check the motherboard manufacturer’s website to see if there are any new device drivers (especially drivers for USB controller chipset). We can install the USB controller drivers first and then check whether the issue can be resolved.

3.    If the issue still persists, please uninstall the two updates one by one to see if the issue disappears. (Please try to uninstall KB941600 first.)

4.    If the issue disappears after uninstall one of the two updates, I suspect the issue is very likely due to the factor that the motherboard USB controller’s device driver is not compatible with the new Windows Vista update, and needs to be upgraded. I would like to suggest that we use the following methods:

1)    Uninstall the update as a temporarily workaround (Note: We can use it as a temporarily a workaround. However, in the long run it is still recommended to install the updates to keep the system up-to-date.)

2)    Report this issue to the manufacturer and push them to provide a upgrade version drivers for the USB controller.

If you have difficulty finding out the motherboard brand and model, please help me to collect the system information file so that I can check it for you. Please send the System Information file to SCEDATA@microsoft.com.  

Collecting System Information

------------------

1). Click the Start menu and choose Run.

2). Enter msinfo32 in the open box and click OK.

3). Click File>Save and then save the information file into a specified folder.

Note: Please include the following three lines in the email body

Post Title: A8N32-SLI DELUXE usb issues  

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2465876&SiteID=17

Robbin Meng – MSFT

If there is anything unclear, please feel free to let me know.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Robbin Meng

Microsoft Online Community Support

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 10:50 AM
  • The mouse problem popped up when i had first unsuccessfully attempted to install the 2 updates. I have the Asus A8N32-SLI deluxe. I downloaded the Asus update tool to update the bios (v1805) in an attempt to fix it, which has not worked. Downloading and running that utility is the only recent change i had made to my computer. I have also followed your suggestions, which still have not revived my mouse.
    Tuesday, November 27, 2007 5:10 PM
  •  

Hi,

Thank you for letting me know the details. I understand the issue occur after the failed installation of the 2 updates and it persists after running the Asus update tool to update the bios (v1805). At this time before we go further, please allow me to confirm our current situation with you:

1. Does "I have also followed your suggestions" means you have tried "Step I" and reinstalled USB controllers driver?

2. Besides "Step I", have you tried uninstalling these two updates as suggested in my response? If not, please have a try, since it is necessary to determine whether there is any conflict between the updates and the motherboard driver.

If the USB mouse works again after we uninstalled these two updates, we can use it as a temporary workaround by skipping installing these two updates. However, in the long run it is still recommended to install all updates to keep the system up-to-date. At the same time, please report this issue to Asus for later consideration.

Regarding the A8N32-SLI Deluxe motherboard driver, I strongly suggest you contact Asus support to confirm which is the best motherboard driver for the motherboard. Please update me on any feedback you receive from Asus. I hope we can work together to help you resolve this problem in a timely manner.

For your reference, I also found an related driver from Asus website:

A8N32-SLI Deluxe motherboard drivers

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=A8N32-SLI%20Deluxe

Please feel free to let me know if you have any concern. J

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Robbin Meng

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 8:34 AM
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios.

If the issue still persists and you want to return to this question, please reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

In addition, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks!

Sincerely,

Robbin Meng

Monday, December 3, 2007 9:57 AM
  • yes i have followed your suggestions as stated earlier to the letter. No the issue has not been resolved.

Monday, December 3, 2007 8:06 PM
  • Hi,

From your last response I understand the issue has not been resolved. Troubleshooting is time-consuming, I appreciate your time and efforts on our issue.

Since the mouse still does not work after we uninstalled these two updates, the issue may possibly not directly caused by the newly installed two updates. Then, I suggest we try "System Restore":

1. First, run "System Restore" to revert the computer back to a previous normal state before applying these two updates.

2. If the mouse works again after running "System Restore", please go to the Windows Update website to manually scan and download all required new updates again.

3. After we successfully applied all necessary updates(including KB941600 and KB941649), please check if the issue reoccurs?

If issue reoccur, i.e. the mouse does not work again, please use "System Restore" again and temporary skip installing these two updates(KB941600 and KB941649) and wait for later update. I believe the current motherboard USB controller’s device driver is not compatible with the new Windows Vista update, and needs to be upgraded. You may report this issue to the manufacturer and push them to provide a upgrade version drivers for the USB controller.

Thanks again for your time.

Sincerely,

Robbin Meng

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 10:18 AM
  • Hello,

I am just checking to see how things are going there on this issue. If there is any updates, please do not hesitate to let us know.

Thanks, and have a great day!

Sincerely,

Robbin Meng

Friday, December 7, 2007 3:29 AM
  • The issue has not yet been resolved. I am still searching for an effective solution.

Friday, December 7, 2007 4:37 PM
  • Hi,

I am sorry to hear the issue still exist and you are working on it now.

If my last suggestions above provided on December 3 did not help or you need further assistance from me, please feel free to let me know the current situation.

Sincerely,

Robbin Meng

Monday, December 10, 2007 10:56 AM
  • Hello,

As this thread has been quiet for a while we will be changing the issue type to ‘Comment’.

If you wish to return to this question you can go ahead and change the type back to ‘Question’. Then you can edit your initial post and change the radio button at the top of the post editor window.

If the issue has been resolved, we’d love to hear your solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks!

Sincerely,

Robbin Meng

Friday, December 14, 2007 2:47 AM
  • I believe I have made some progress on my own, however now the "Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller" says "This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use.(Code 12)" How do I go about solving this?
    Friday, December 28, 2007 10:27 PM

• Hi,

Based on research and other similar cases, this error message may occur if the device has been assigned one or more I/O ports, IRQs, or DMA channels used by another device. This error message can also appear if the BIOS is configured incorrectly (for example, if a USB controller doesn't get an IRQ from the BIOS). Check BIOS settings. Use the Resources tab to identify the conflicting device.

Please refer to similar cases which is also resolved by upgrading BIOS:

8800GTS - "This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)"
    http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1682648&SiteID=17

MAC Pro Nvidia 7300 can't find enought resources(code 12)....
    http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2072200&SiteID=17

Nvidia 7300... Can't find enough free resources?
    http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=601972&SiteID=17

Thanks and hope this helps.

Sincerely,
    Robbin Meng

Monday, December 31, 2007 10:08 AM