I'm a noob... RRS feed

• Question

• Alright, I always seen about Vista how you could scroll between windows, but I never paid attention to how, as I never got Vista.  Now that I have W7, I'm wondering if I can do that, and how to if possible.  Any help?  I didn't feel like scrolling through endless searches to find my answer, so I came here...
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 9:52 PM

Answers

All replies

• Use ALT + TAB or Windows Key + TAB   (also your mouse wheel).
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 9:54 PM
  • Alright...  But what about the 3D feature?  I should have been more specific; that's what I'm looking for.  Where it tilts the windows, making them 3D, so I can look at the different windows I'm working on and visually select them.
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 10:07 PM
  • Wednesday, May 27, 2009 10:10 PM
  • I suggested that middle-clicking on "show desktop" button activates Flip3D, but does anybody listen? Nooooo.... >:P
    Regards,
    Kristaps.
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 10:37 PM
  • You seem to have found the long-lost word from my vocabulary...  That's what I'm trying to get, but I can't.  Could you be specific as to where to change the setting, if that's what I need to do?  It may be my hardware that's not allowing me to, as I've got a poor graphics card.  But,I'm totally clueless with this feature.  I've tried clicking with the scroll wheel on the "show desktop" button on the bottom right, but nothing happens.
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 11:21 PM
  • If your graphics card doesn't support translucent windows (Aero Glass) then you won't be able to use Flip 3D.

What happens when you do hit Windows key + Tab?

-Nick
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 11:40 PM
  • Alright, I'm assuming that my card doesn't support it, with only 32 MB.  For my future reference, what is the minimum for it?

Win key + tab just acts like I'm pressing tab at an insane speed.
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 2:06 PM
  • Well, no wonder! Aero (and Flip3D) needs at least 128MB of video memory.

Regards,
    Kristaps.
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 2:57 PM
  • Oh, wow, didn't expect it to need that much!
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 2:59 PM
  • If you thing of Aero and Flip3D as 3d-accelerated applications, it's not outrageous.  ;)
    Actually, it goes pretty much hand-in-hand with the other requirement for Aero (and Flip3D):  DX9 (or better) support in hardware.
    Rare is the DX9-compliant videocard that doesn't have at least 128MB onboard memory; and, as far as I can remember, any card that only has 32MB onboard is, at best DX8.1.
    If it's a notebook (or, a desktop) with onboard video, take a look in the BIOS, and see if you can increase the amount of video-reserved memory. 
    I would not suggest dong this, though, with anything less than 2GB installed RAM, though.

HTH,
    Chris

Friday, May 29, 2009 4:32 AM
  • Yeah, I just imagined it wouldn't be so sophisticated!
    Tuesday, June 2, 2009 6:24 PM