how do i enable branchcache hosted cache on a 2012 server? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am currently trying to setup branchcache hosted cache mode and i have hit a problem.

I have managed to configure the content server ok but i can't get the hosted cache to enable for the branch office servers (they are both running 2012 standard and are full DCs with DNS installed also)

I get the following error:

PS C:\Users\administrator> Enable-BCHostedServer -RegisterSCP
    Enable-BCHostedServer : Hosted cache SCP registration is not supported on writeable domain controllers.
    At line:1 char:1
    + Enable-BCHostedServer -RegisterSCP
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (MSFT_NetBranchCacheOrchestrator:root/StandardCi...cheOrchestrator) [E
       nable-BCHostedServer], CimException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : HRESULT 0x80070032,Enable-BCHostedServer

I get the impression you cant do this on a full DC, am I right? if it can be done then help?? how?

Thanks

Monday, June 10, 2013 12:48 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I did not find a document which mentioned that it is not supported on a DC. But from the error message it clearly descripted that the registration is not supported on a writeable DC. So I think it is by design. I will test the same configuration later. 

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, June 12, 2013 4:24 AM
  • Wondering why you are installing anything other than ADDS on a domain controller? Very bad practice.

Spin up another box that ISNT a DC and you will get better results. Or demote the DC.

Thursday, November 20, 2014 10:21 AM