How to assign proper classification category to incident tickets ? RRS feed

• Question

• I used Alert Routing Rules in SCOM connector to assign a template for different group of users. How do I assign the proper classification category to the incident tickets then ? There is no "classification category" information passed from SCOM connector to SCSM.
    Friday, March 1, 2013 5:38 AM

All replies

• You can adjust classification category in your different SCOM templates i.e

1- Go to Service Manager--> Library--> Templates and create some SCOM templates with proper classification category "One for HW errors, One for Windows Errors ,etc..."

2- Configure routing rules on SCOM Connector "When error contains IBM or DELL apply HW Template"

Mohamed Fawzi | http://fawzi.wordpress.com

Friday, March 1, 2013 9:25 AM
  • Well, I know about this already. But what I mean is that sometimes the SCOM alert will *NOT*contains the specific keyword that you are looking for.

For example, when SCOM generate the alert of "Logical disk transfer (reads and writes) latency  is too high", there is no server information provided in the description so you cannot find out which server have the "Logical disk transfer (reads and writes) latency  is too high" issue. However, the "Affected Items" will contains the server name.

The other problem is you can only setup the alert routing when you *KNOW* the keyword, however you cannot setup the alert routing when you DON'T know what the keyword is.

In my environment, I want to assign incident tickets received from SCOM with the following information:

1. Support Group (e.g. Project Group, Server Group, Network Group, etc)

2. Assigned To User (e.g. Project Group users, Server Group users, Network Group users, etc.)

To differentiate which alert belongs to which Support Group, I have setup different Computer Groups in Library as follows:

Project Group includes P_Server1, P_Server2, P_Server3

Server Group includes S_Server1, S_Server2, S_Server3, S_Server4

Network Group includes N_Device1, N_Device2, N_Device3, N_Device4

I also setup template for each Computer Group and pre-assigned the Support Group and Assigned To Users as follows:

Project Group Template -->  Support Group = Project Group, Assigned To User = Project Group users

Server Group Template -->  Support Group = Server Group, Assigned To User = Server Group users

NetworkGroup Template -->  Support Group = Network Group, Assigned To User = Network Group users

Then in SCOM Alert Routing Rules, I select the alert routing when the alert was generated from one of the above computer groups.

One of the drawbacks for this setting is I cannot assign a proper classification category and I end up setting all incident tickets classification category to "Others Problems" .

How can I assigned the correct classification category while also assign the correct Support Group and Assigned To Users at the same time ?

• Edited by Wyatt Wong Monday, March 4, 2013 2:40 AM
    Friday, March 1, 2013 12:58 PM