Windows Live Messenger: First click on icon does not load the login window on desktop. RRS feed

• Question

• I have Windows Live Messenger pinned to taskbar. On first click, the WLM window does not appear to be loaded on desktop. Clicking its icon again will load the window.

Software info: Version 2011 (Build 15.4.3538.513) running on Windows 7.

Saturday, October 29, 2011 2:22 AM

Answers

• Hi,

If other icons which are pinned on taskbar don't have the issue, I think the issue is more related to Windows Live Messenger. Please contact Windows Live help center below. You can click Ask a question to submit a request.

http://windowslivehelp.com/product.aspx?productid=2

From Windows 7 side, I suggest saving the following command as a bat file, then right click it and run as administrator to reset icon cache.

taskkill /F /IM explorer.exe

cd /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local

attrib -h IconCache.db

del IconCache.db

start explorer

Also, try to create a new user account, then pin the Windows Live Messenger for a test.

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Niki Han Friday, November 4, 2011 1:47 AM
    Monday, October 31, 2011 10:06 AM

All replies

• Hi,

If other icons which are pinned on taskbar don't have the issue, I think the issue is more related to Windows Live Messenger. Please contact Windows Live help center below. You can click Ask a question to submit a request.

http://windowslivehelp.com/product.aspx?productid=2

From Windows 7 side, I suggest saving the following command as a bat file, then right click it and run as administrator to reset icon cache.

taskkill /F /IM explorer.exe

cd /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local

attrib -h IconCache.db

del IconCache.db

start explorer

Also, try to create a new user account, then pin the Windows Live Messenger for a test.

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Niki Han Friday, November 4, 2011 1:47 AM
    Monday, October 31, 2011 10:06 AM
  • Thanks Niki. I've submitted a question on the Windows Live Messenger Help Center. I have several apps pinned to taskbar and none have this issue.
    Thursday, March 29, 2012 4:54 AM